Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.17 wsm

Old 01-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Modern Ballistic Coefficient

QUOTE=JagMagMan;4101696]It doesn't matter to me if the companies roll out a new caliber everyday! But in my opinion, with the exception of the .17 HMR and Leverlution ammo they have not made any improvements over the older proven calibers![/QUOTE]

I read about the .17WSM some months ago when featured in a NRA magazine. After reading everything I could find online, decided it didn't have much over the 22mag and passed on getting one. Then yesterday at a small gun shop, I found a box of its' 25gr ammo. At first, couldn't read the tiny table of velocity and energy claims. It took a 2nd pair of glasses, used to magnify, to ever so slowly decipher the numbers. Wow, there were some impressive claims I hadn't read anywhere. Remembered that several reviewers stated muzzle velocity claimed was spot on, so this reignited my interest. Another internet search verified that the .17 bullet had a BC that'd kick the 22mags butt; .185 for the 20gr and .23 for the 25gr. Weird, the Winchester.com site didn't have a thing on the round except for some marketing hotair. (the best BC 22mag around .16 and that's with 40gr)
L to R 22lr, 22mag, .17HR, .17WSM

The .17WSM comes out the muzzle 16% hotter than the 22mag but it really trumps out past 100yds being 37% hotter at that distance. So, I bought one. Less wind drift and flatter trajectory too.
Here's what I haven't seen published anywhere but in tiny print on the Winchester 25gr ammo box:
muzzle 100 150 200 yds
2600 2248 2083 1925 fps
375 275 235 199 ft/lb

My B-mag feels solid with a slighty tight bolt action. I like light and have a heavy Chinese 24X scope that will bring the rifle/scope combo to 7.25lbs. The skinny barrel suits me as I don't crack off much in the way of successive rounds, can go out for hours and fire off 4 rounds or so. If I can shoot sub 2" groups, I'm ready to drop 150yd groundhogs.

The soybean fields near me slope so that I see just the roofs of a few homes 350yd above so this peppy rimfire is perfect. Come late March a few groundhogs should make their appearance. Those will make good bait for yotes. Won't have a chance to shoot 'till then, stay tuned

Last edited by Sosalty; 02-17-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: add foto