Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22-250

Old 10-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have a similar debate with myself (22-250 vs .223 vs .243). .223 is leading (when I can afford it) due to the fact that I envision shooting it a lot and it's quite a bit cheaper to shoot.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If coyotes are on the list for frequent use, or especially fox or bobcat where hides can be worth even more, then the .223rem is the king out of the ".223rem, 22-250, or .243win" debate. The other two obviously will put fur in the dirt, but when it comes to balancing recovery rate with hide quality, the .223rem has just enough to get it done without requiring a lot of time stitching exit holes.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nomercy448 .... any expereince with the 218 Bee ? I bought one at a garage sale last week.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only Bee I've ever shot myself was an uncle of mine's old levergun. Absolute ball to shoot, bear to find ammo for though, can't imagine that has changed. It's not in the same class as the "standard" 22cal CF's, but closer to a Hornet. My uncle kept his as a "cat gun", since it was nicer on fur than his faster/heavier 22cf's.

Assuming yours is also an old winny levergun?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Winchester 43. Dang thing looks practically new. Bluing great. Only a few scratches arond the butt. Bore was loaded up with gun grease.

When I bought it, it had an older steel tubed Weaver scope on it. I thought about taking the scope off, but decided to keep it on the gun. Sort opf seemed to "fit" the era. Not sure when it was made. Doing some S/N research now.

I found 56 rounds of old Wincheser factory 218 Bee ammo and large paper bags of assorted brass at the sale. O bought all the brass. Guy must have been a brass hoarder or reloader ! There was a ton of spent brass. Probably 50# or more. Looking through it a couple days ago .... weird stuff .... 8 mm Rem. Mag., 30/40 Waters, 6 mm Rem., 350 Rem Mag., and the 218 Bee. There were 317 of the Bee.

I decided to hold back the two full boxes of the Winchester factory stuff. I cleaned the rifle good and shot it 16 times at the range. It is a hoot to shoot. And I was surprised at the accuracy. Trigger is pretty rough but probably about what was the typical factory trigger back then. I have ordered dies and plan to reload.