Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Over under recommendation modest price >

Over under recommendation modest price

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Over under recommendation modest price

Old 10-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Over under recommendation modest price

While I have had many semi autos never owned a over under. Used a beretta 686 silver pigeon and thought it was terrific though at 2k for grade one (whatever that means), it is a little higher than I wish to spend. If u can help me narrow it down to 2 or 3 excellent choices at under 2k I would appreciate it. I am ok searching for a used gun on gunbroker or gunsamerica if that helps me get a good quality 20 ga for quail hunting but also open to the name of a discount shop if u have one. Have a friend who is ffl so can get it shipped to him.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any of the 3B's will cost under 2K.

Remember, Browning doesn't wear out, it wears in !

You could get a CZ, etc.......
Old 10-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Spike

Take a look at Ruger's red label over and unders. I have one and really like it. The one I have is 12ga and is easy to carry can't imagine going upland without it. Ruger builds quality stuff and for the price you would be hard pressed to find an o/u cheaper. You could find a 20ga and 12ga used on gun trader at close to the 2g mark, might take some looking but can be done.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

Like Sheridan posted, Brownings are a good choice.

I bought a Browning Citori Grade I Trap gun with invector chokes in the mid 80's. I used it to shoot competitive trap doubles for several years, then I used it to shoot competitive Skeet for about 10 years, shooting about 10,000 shells a year through it.

I no longer shoot registered competition, but I still shoot Skeet every week, shooting 100+ shells each week. My Citori shows some wear, but still shoots as good as the day that I bought it.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look for a 686 Onyx.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

I inhereted my dad's old Browning Superposed 20 gauge. Fine shotgun but I couldn't hit a bull in the ass with it. Traded it to my brother in law for an early model S&W model 66 with counter bored chambers and pinned barrel.

I'm not sure who screwed who on that deal. I think I probably got hosed money wise but I sure do like that revolver.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you liked the Silver Pigeon, I'd look at an Onyx as well - which I think can still be had for a hair under $2K. Most of my pheasant-hunting friends use 686s or Citoris. There's a Winchester 101 in the mix as well as some CZs and a Franchi. All seem to be very good shotguns.

Some of the guys have played a bit with Mossbergs and Tri-Stars (?), but most of them have now moved on to those mentioned above.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is my first O/U.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...ger-condor.php

Like BUFF, used for skeet, 5 stand, sporting clays and all my field hunts for years.

10,000 + rounds easy................it's my "beater" now.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

I LOVE my 20 gauge Silver Pigeon! 6 lbs. Handles like a dream. And a great safety! I've had it for around 14 years now and it's been great.

Why do I mention the safety? A buddy of mine picked up a Turkish over under to try and save a few bucks. It weighs a lot more and the safety really sucks - he can't get it to work half the time because it is the dual use type - left right for barrel selection, forward back for safety. So it gets hung up a lot when not all the way left or right. Stupid design. Spend the money and get a gun for life!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Spike

My buddy picked up a used in great condition 686 Silver pigeon for 1400. I love my 686 SP in 20/28 combo. I had saved for 5 years when it was time and paid $2000 brand new 10 years ago. I use the 28 more then the 20 barrels. The last 2 years it is all I have used during Pheasant season and have yet to lose a bird I have shot.! CZ makes a good quality O/U for a good price. You should shoulder them all before deciding!!! Good luck!!