Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle choice >

Rifle choice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle choice

Old 09-28-2003, 08:14 PM

Default Rifle choice

after tons of research and thinking, I have decided to get a 270 win, I dont know what model or brand I want, I have a liking for bolt action though, also I like synthetic stocks- although they arent neccesary
I have looked at these but please give more suggestions or info on these
-weatherby vanguard
-remington model 710
-remington model 700 ADL
thanks in advance!
-hotgunner
Old 09-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle choice

One piece of advice I can' t stress enough, forget about the Remington 710. It is junk. For the same price range you can get a Savage which will be reliable, accurate and well made. Ruger 77 Mk II is also a good choice. Alot of your choice will probably be based on price. Personal taste and the fit of the rifle will come into play as well. Try to handle as many brands as you can and see which one fits the best.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Frizz. on the 710. However I have three and soon to be four of the 700 adl synthetics. I love them and can find not one single flaw in them. Good action Great trigger and Accurate as hell. They cost 379 - 429 where I live.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:37 PM

I too agree that the 710 is junk. Doesn' t even make a good anchor for a crappie house.

The others you mentioned, as well as others that James and Frizz mentioned are all fine rifles. You might look at Howa. It' s a very nice rifle (actually, they made the Weatherby Vanguard for Weatherby) and is very reasonable. I was looking at a Stainless/Synthetic Howa the other day for only 399.00 New.

If you can go another 150.00 to 200.00, look at Tikka. My new .270 in stainless/laminated stock should here in about a week. *Drool*
Old 09-29-2003, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

don' t go cheap....if money is short buy used. I' m a big fan of Winchester' s model 70

You' ve decided on the .270 and it' s one very fine cartridge. I' m cheering for you.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:09 AM

Remington model #700
Ruger model# 77 MK II
Winchester model# 70

I have a 50 year old Remington 721. No complaints with it at all.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 700
Old 09-29-2003, 06:31 AM

Of the three mentioned, I personally prefer the Remington 700 ADL. A good action, a good price...just without the frills. If you happen to live near a Gander Mountain you might want to check them out as well. (No....I do not have any financial interest in Gander Mountain.) But I noticed in a " Newly opened Gander Mountain in Washington, PA. that they were selling Tikkas chambered in .270 Winchester for $370. - $385. (or in that price range). There was an entire rack of them....must have been ten or more! All new....all priced the same....all chambered for .270 Winchester. (I don' t know if they got a special run price on them or what?!?) But the Tikkas in any other caliber were nearly $100. more. If you happen to be near a Gander Mountain...and they don' t have the same price...have them check their online availability. They will special order from one store to another. (You might even be able to do the same thing online yourself at Gander Mountain online?)

Tikka is a very nice action....and at the prices I saw a very good deal!

Good luck with your search!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Browning Abolt chambered in a 270 win, no complaints from me on this fine rifle. Just another consideration.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:04 PM

look at a ruger with the laminated stock. It has all the durability of synthetic but with the feel of wood.

Quick Reply: Rifle choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.