Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
buckshot through a turkey choke? >

buckshot through a turkey choke?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buckshot through a turkey choke?

Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Spike

Default buckshot through a turkey choke?

i am asking if its ok to shoot buckshot through a xxfull turkey choke or would it cause damage to the barrel.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Dunno...... But it sounds like a good way to wreck a barrel to me.

Anyway isn't it true that the real tight chokes result in poor patterns with buckshot ?

I'm sure I read that somewhere.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Spike

i called a local gunsmith and ask the same thing i asked here, and he said only shoot buckshot in a modified choke. he said even using full choke could cause damage to the barrel if shot a bunch with buck shot. i had already tried mine with the full choke this morning and it patterned well with 3in. #1buck at 30 yards and after i talked with him i changed to my mod choke and it done just as good putting 15 pellets in the heart/lung area on a deer paper target. i moved back to 40 yards and the hits dropped to 3 pellets in the heart/lung vitals. lots of the shots hit the neck and liver and a few shots had pellets in the spine, but i was only counting on the heart/lung shots. my gun is a browning gold in 12gauge with a 30 in. barrel for some reason my rem870 with a 28in barrel will make heart/lung hits with the same 3in superx #1buck at 50 yards. its hard to think a $300 gun will out group a browning gold.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a sleeve put in by mark bansner, it mic's .632, way tighter than a XXfull, he said buckshot was fine, but no slugs
RR
Old 09-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have always shot an 870 with the factory full choke. I shoot the Remington brand 3" 00buck and never had a problem. Most people I know use that same setup too.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

for years I have used buckshot in my Mossberg 12ga with a extra full or full choke in and my barrel doesn't have not one mark in it and my choke is in great shape. no problems. I also have a xxfull turkey choke from carlsons that I was using during turkey season with the turkey shells and then I left it in and bought some new buckshot ammo to try out and used it while that new choke was in it and it patterned good and caused no problems. But basically now I use the Mossberg choke tubes for the buckshot and the carlsons turkey choke tube for the turkey shot. I will be getting a new carlsons buckshot choke to replace the original Mossberg ones. They are great choke tubes.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be surprised if you see barrel or choke damage in a modern sporting arm, but there's really no benefit to shooting anything tighter than a modified for 00 buckshot. In older sporting arms, it wasn't uncommon to hear about bulging barrels or seized (bulged) choke tubes from shooting buckshot that didn't want to fit out of overly tight chokes.

You didn't specify what size of shot, or what restriction of choke

As somebody that shoots a lot of buckshot, what I CAN tell you is that you'll very likely see worse groupings from an overly restrictive choke. Buffered 00buck tends to do 'decent' out of tighter chokes, but no real advantage over a modified. Non-buffered 00 buckshot will usually present gaps in your pattern from 'planing' because the shot can't fit out of the choke cleanly, and it malforms.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm in the same camp as NoMercy on this one.

Use a modified choke and find the ammo your gun "likes" !!!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Buckshot is supposed to "spread" out and go through brush and whatnot. Once you get to tight of a pattern and you try shooting farther than a buckshot is really made for then you might as well have a slug gun. Buckshot really should be for close range out to like 60 yards. Some guns and ammo are different so maybe more or maybe less but to tight of a pattern really isn't that beneficial. IMO
Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go no tighter than full choke.

Buckshot works pretty well within say 60 yds with a good pattern.

For deer I still prefer a slug, even a rifled slug, over buckshot. I'd only use buckshot if required by law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.