Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
AR Hunting Platform >

AR Hunting Platform

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR Hunting Platform

Old 09-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question AR Hunting Platform

I was curious to see the overall feeling or opinion about hunting with a rifle in the AR-15 platform.

What do you see as the pro's and con's?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not a primitive weapon LOL

Now considered the "modern day" hunting rifle.

Con - can be a little heavy as a "spot and stalk" gun.

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Spike

i use mine to hunt during modern gun here in ky it does get a little heavy especially when you are hunting from the ground with no blind and have to make the very small slow movements to take down a deer other than that I like hunting with mine.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine is killer accurate!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pros? They're usually quite accurate, accessories abound (if you're into that kind of thing), with a collapsible stock they're adaptable to most shooters (including youth)

Cons? Unless you're talking about the AR-10 platform, you're limited to what most of us would generally consider "varmint" cartridges, with the possible exceptions of rounds like the 6.5mm Grendel, 6.8mm SPC, or .30 AR (though you can make a big jump in shorter-range power with rounds like the .458 SOCOM or the .450 Bushmaster). They do tend to be heavier than their bolt-action counterparts. They're not the easiest to keep clean.

I tend to prefer bolt guns and single-shots for hunting, but have used the AR (in .223) on a number of occasions to bag coyotes and a couple late-season Thanksgiving dinner turkeys.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

mostly the AR platform style gun will be a .223 used for coyote or varmints etc. But there are plenty of calibers in that platform now since they have become a very wanted and liked weapon for numerous reasons. But I would say the pros would be the accessories you can add to them. You can turn any AR style gun into anything you want. From sights to stocks to lights and magazines its crazy. You can start with a stock AR platform and turn it into the best coyote (or any animal specific) ever. Cons I would say like the other guys have said is the weight especially after you start adding all kinds of stuff to it. Also once you add things to it it might start to get awkward to shoulder or hold while hunting as opposed to just shooting from a rest. And like he said above ^^ cleaning it will become a pain. But I think there is more pros than cons and the way I look at it, creating a personal gun specifically for one main reason(hunting coyote or hunting deer or shooting for fun) is where all the fun is at. Good luck with it. The options are endless.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illegal in PA + Blue law state

would use for varmints if I could
Old 09-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Spike

Default Antelope in WY and AR-15 in .223

Wyoming just changed the laws this year; we can use a 22 cal as long as it is over a 2" cartridge. My wife and I both used our AR's on the hunt this year. She shot hers at 125 yards, took out both lungs. The buck ran about 30 yards then toppled. I shot my buck at 264 yards. Drop on the spot. Took my doe tag at 305 yards. She walked 3 steps and I put another in her. The second shot was not necessary, but follow up shots with an AR sure is faster then running a bolt. Three antelope, four shots, only needed the three and three goats in the freezer. For all those that say the .223 cartridge is not big enough for big game, I would disagree. This is from my experience. I will keep on shooting deer and antelope with the AR-Platform until it proves me wrong. All the shots on the antelope where in the vitals. Shot placement is more important than caliber. Learn to shoot, and then caliber is not an issue.

Last edited by DanMorgan; 09-20-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DanMorgan
Wyoming just changed the laws this year; we can use a 22 cal as long as it is over a 2" cartridge.
I think the new regulation also requires a bullet 60 grains or heavier as well?

We're so used to the .243 being the unspecified minimum, it's probably going to take a couple seasons for people to accept the .223 as being viable for pronghorn and deer, though it's been in use in other states for some time already. I'm going to try it myself during deer season.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

left to right
rem. 76/15 9 twist chambered 5.56
J&T distributing expedition 20" upper, 9 twist chambered 5.56
RRA 24" varminter chambered 223 wylde, 8 twist
Tromix TR15 custom 20" chambered 458 socom
D'tech 22" oly fluted SUM chambered in 25 WSSM
yeah I like them, my only complaint is the aluminum will suck the heat out of your fingers on cold mornings
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.