Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
AR Hunting Platform >

AR Hunting Platform

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR Hunting Platform

Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DanMorgan
Wyoming just changed the laws this year; we can use a 22 cal as long as it is over a 2" cartridge. My wife and I both used our AR's on the hunt this year. She shot hers at 125 yards, took out both lungs. The buck ran about 30 yards then toppled. I shot my buck at 264 yards. Drop on the spot. Took my doe tag at 305 yards. She walked 3 steps and I put another in her. The second shot was not necessary, but follow up shots with an AR sure is faster then running a bolt. Three antelope, four shots, only needed the three and three goats in the freezer. For all those that say the .223 cartridge is not big enough for big game, I would disagree. This is from my experience. I will keep on shooting deer and antelope with the AR-Platform until it proves me wrong. All the shots on the antelope where in the vitals. Shot placement is more important than caliber. Learn to shoot, and then caliber is not an issue.

What part of Wyoming?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Spike

We are in the Casper area, and hunt area 69 it's on the north side of Pathfinder, about 40 miles west of Casper.

DanMorgan
Old 10-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DanMorgan
We are in the Casper area, and hunt area 69 it's on the north side of Pathfinder, about 40 miles west of Casper.

DanMorgan
Cool, I've hunted Encampment/Baggs a few times and have friends that go up to your area.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Spike

I use the 6.8 SPC II for my short range deer medicine. So far so good with good kinetic energy to about 280 yards. Using a PSA 18" Hammer forged barrel, reloading with the high BC Nosler Accubond bullet. Love shooting this MSR platform.