Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Scope on 700 >

Scope on 700

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope on 700

Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Burris Ballistic Plex reticle; zeroed at 100 yards.

See attached;
http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/BALLPLEX.pdf

Depending on the caliber and bullet weight; Burris supplies a "chart" corresponding to the bullet drop at the next line down (200 yards) and so on.

Each "line", again depending on caliber and bullet weight gives the bullet drop; if not exact, then says +1" or -2".

There is only one way to verify that; so using that as a base-line I confirm POI at the range for each (using the same ammo I use in the field).

Since I'm not a real bright guy; I have the same scope on all my bolt guns (one exception - I use a 24X Mil-dot on my .204).

I have a different ammo box for each of the calibers I use and tape the corresponding "chart" on the inside cover.

Works for me................ as I originally suggested, the window of opportunity opens and closes so quickly that I need to "dumb it down" as much as possible.

Always the same scope, always the same adjustments, always the same sight picture - the only thing that changes is the caliber of the gun I have in my hands.

As I said; I'm not a real bright guy and not a "sniper" either.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I have a different ammo box for each of the calibers I use and tape the corresponding "chart" on the inside cover.
My coyote guns wear Burris scopes with the Ballistic Mil-Dot. I have a fair amount of coin invested or I'd have swapped them out for straight Mil-Dots with Target Turrets already. But, I have other priorities at the moment, so they'll stay "as-is" for awhile.

I use something like what you describe, only my chart is affixed inside the scope cover. When the cover flips up, there's the data. My chart is also proofed to the specific load I use, the "suggestions" Burris provides weren't even close in actual practice.

Not my preferred method, but it does work.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kentucky windage works great. Few years ago i killed a medium sized doe at 418 lasered yards. The gun used was a Remington 700 in .30-06 sighted in for a max point blank range of about 275 yards. The scope is the Leupold FX III 6X42. Held about 18" high and popped that deer.

i seldom take shots on deer at ranges over about 250 yards. That afternoon there was no wind, i had a good shooting rest and very good light.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just so there is no misunderstanding;

"Kentucky Windage" generally refers to adjusting your POA to the left or the right to account for the wind; not elevation.

Often called "doping the wind" or just "Dope" - FYI
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alot of good info guys. The bdc on my omega scope on my triumph was dead on at all marks. I feel it allowed me to get perfect kill shots on both my 250 yard kills. Ill know late next week what my budget will end up at. Then ill make a decision.