Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Some insight to why a light barrel and heavy barrel can be equally accurate. >

Some insight to why a light barrel and heavy barrel can be equally accurate.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Some insight to why a light barrel and heavy barrel can be equally accurate.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mystro
Wanna bet I can't get my groups under 1" on a calm day with better optics...?
Shooting 1" groups at 300yrds is considered the 'rule of thumb' for when a benchrest shooter is ready to begin practicing for 1,000yrd matches. The recommended practice at that point is to move from the 300yrd line to the 600yrd line before you start actually thinking about 1,000yrds.

It's FAR from ready to COMPETE at 1,000yrds.

My wife has been behind a trigger for 4yrs and she puts down 1-2" groups in any wind condition KS has to offer with a Savage 12 Varminter (only thing I've done to it is regulate the headspace and bed the stock), pushing Remington UMC 50grn JHP's.

Again, 2" groups, even your hypothetical 1" groups at 300yrds might be very impressive for a hunter, but it doesn't play in the same class as guys that put up the same size groups at 600-1,000yrds, week in and week out.

Keep patting yourself on the back. I have lost interest in anything you might ever say here again. Thanks for pointing yourself out quickly.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 AM
Fork Horn

Dude get a grip and perhaps some perspective, its a gun forum and we talk about and show pictures of guns here.
I have spoken to Jack's son on various occasions and I can assure you Jacks family is quite pleased in which his name and integrity of this rifle was presented.. Your welcome to call him at the Jack O'Connor Center in Lewiston Idaho and yea, I am a member there too. I didn't just walk off the playground like you so arrogantly suggested to push a hidden agenda or inflate my ego. Here is a idea,...If you dont like my "interpretation" of the book in question, how about reading it for your self and then come back with some educated stance on my "interpretation". At least this way you would know the passage and context it was used.
My "pretty rifle" you sarcastically took pop shots at are devastated from your lack of disapproval. You have truly redefined the phrase "keyboard commander" with now adding your physiological insight and intentions I might be spinning to further a hidden agenda and ego.. What's the color of the sun on your planet?? If your done now and "unimpressed", maybe we can put our tin foil hats back on and get this thread back on track.

Originally Posted by homers brother
Mark me as "unimpressed" from here on out. Don't care how pretty your rifle is, really don't care about 100 yard groups if the truth be known. If Jack O'Connor knew they were selling a rifle with his name on it for as much as you paid for it, he'd probably bring you the scunion for buying one.
Why are we even talking about bench rest shooting??? This has nothing to do with the OP. Forget about bench rest guns, it doesn't apply to "all things being equal." Bench rest standards are a game, the context was regarding hunting rifles that are mobile and lighter in weight. Hunting rifles are generally tested at 100yards as every publication has done in the past.

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Shooting 1" groups at 300yrds is considered the 'rule of thumb' for when a benchrest shooter is ready to begin practicing for 1,000yrd matches.

So empirical evidence is patting yourself on the back now????? ...I see, so the "keyboard commando" rules are....we make claims without any evidence to back it up and when we do back them up, we are bragging and patting ourself on the back.
Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Keep patting yourself on the back. I have lost interest in anything you might ever say here again. Thanks for pointing yourself out quickly.
I would like to apologies to our other forum members for the way this thread has totally gone off topic......Its inital intent was clear, strait forward and non self serving regardless of some accusation. The topic was addressed in detail by one of the most respected and published gun legends from the past and thought it was interesting and wanted to pass it along.
You can find this information at:
THE RIFLE BOOK - A New Edition of a Shooter’s Classic - JACK O’CONNOR. Second Edition, Revised. Hardback book with dust jacket; Alfred A. Knopf; ©1964; 332 pages.

Last edited by Mystro; 08-19-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have spoken to Jack's son on various occasions and I can assure you Jacks family is quite pleased in which his name and integrity of this rifle was presented.. Your welcome to call him at the Jack O'Connor Center in Lewiston Idaho and yea, I am a member there too.
Oh, well THAT changes EVERYTHING! You're a member even? Gosh! Do you stay at a Holiday Inn Express when you visit Lewiston, too? That'd sew the whole issue up for you.

One of the aspects of this board that is very troubling sometimes is when someone feels the need to bash someone else over what they're shooting. Got a new .30-30? Well, it's crap for elk hunting, even though you may never hunt elk in North Carolina with it. Got a Remington? Winchesters are crap because ______'s are better. Got a heavy barrel? Heavy barrels are crap because my spiffy new JOC M70 can shoot and it has a light barrel. People need to spend more time getting each other in the field with what they have and can afford and less time bragging about whatever it is in their gunsafe that they feel so proud of that they need to tear someone else down over.

Wanna post a picture? Why don't you try one of the game you take this season with that rifle. And follow with a story of what a great hunt it was, leave out the part about how smart you are because you're a member of some silly club. Try more celebration of hunting and being in the field, and less celebration about you and your pretty acquisition and the name etched in the trigger guard.

(edit) - Go back and read your original post. You even quoted your beloved saying that a light barrel CAN be as accurate as a heavy barrel. How did you twist that? Let me refresh your memory:

Any high quality lightweight barrel will be as accurate as any heavy barrel with in the first 4 shots all factors being equal. ... A lightweight is just as accurate as a heavy weight barrel and will out shoot a poor executed heavy weight barrel.
Read your early responses to other members. Did you tell someone he'd be wrong?

And you would be wrong......... This is why I posted this.
No, you didn't come here with an agenda....

Last edited by homers brother; 08-19-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

No one ever belittled or berated heavyweight barrels. All that was stated was that there is a equal accuracy potential between two different weight barrels in the same size length and platform. Both could be equally accurate was the take away. Then it went into some strange bench rest shooting pissing match comparison. Please don't confuse my statements to a paraphrase from JOC's book. Generally it is common to use a :-) to set the tone of "kidding" or "light heartedness." This is common forum etiquette. Perhaps that is why the thread took a turn for the worse and the sentiments were not properly conveyed???? I still am not sure why it is your place to patrol this thread for statements you feel you need to interpret or interject ulterior motives that simply are not there????

If you want to make fun of the Jack O'Connor Hunting and Education Center then that's up to you and I will not have any part of it. I find it and the people that run it very worthwhile and a worthy of supporting financially and actively.

Originally Posted by homers brother
Oh, well THAT changes EVERYTHING! You're a member even? Gosh! Do you stay at a Holiday Inn Express when you visit Lewiston, too? .

Last edited by Mystro; 08-19-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried to tell you that "some" (me included) might argue the accuracy question between a lightweight barrel VS a heavy (what I called, stiffer/rigid) barrel.

If you remember, I wasn't even referring to a finished firearm; crown, hand lapped, free floated, bedded action, quality trigger, type of stock, etc.

All in all .................nice looking rifle and seems that it shoots well under MOA.

If you want to continue to use this forum, you might just apologize that you got off on the wrong foot - up to you.

If you hang around long enough, you'll find plenty of "spirited" CONVERSATION / OPINIONS and a lot of great information.............................

Good luck :-)

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-19-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Yea, my apologies above was directed to those that had watch this thread being railroaded into a pissing match that does not have anything to do with the topic at hand. I do not believe the topic ever started off on the wrong foot or nor does it have anything with my future forum participation. I am not sure why that would even be brought up, I've been registers since 2003.
Originally Posted by Sheridan
If you want to continue to use this forum, you might just apologize that you got off on the wrong foot - up to you.

Last edited by Mystro; 08-19-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mystro, I wouldn't apologize for crap.

I went back and reread the thread. All you did was post up what you thought was useful info and then a couple of guys disagreed politely and then Nomercy started with his BS and Homer followed through with his.

These guys think their crap doesn't stink and they are God's gift to the Gun Forum.

This kind of crap was one of the things that brought down this site in the first place.

Anyone know why Ridgerunner's post was deleted?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Thank You,....For some reason I felt like I had a target on my back for posting apparently, a controversial topic for some with only the best intentions. I have been a forum moderator a few times on other sites and have seen alot but the hostility and animosity on this topic is bizarre even by forum standard. This topic is also discuses on another forum happily and without such contempt.
Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Mystro, I wouldn't apologize for crap.

I went back and reread the thread. All you did was post up what you thought was useful info and then a couple of guys disagreed politely and then Nomercy started with his BS and Homer followed through with his.

These guys think their crap doesn't stink and they are God's gift to the Gun Forum.

This kind of crap was one of the things that brought down this site in the first place.

Anyone know why Ridgerunner's post was deleted?

Last edited by Mystro; 08-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
cause I deleted it, didn't take long to figure out mysro wasn't listening to anything anyone had to say on the matter cause he had quoted JOC
jack passed in early 1978, right now we have added 35 years of firearms evolution and have made drastic improvements in the making of firearms and barrels, we've discovered how barrel harmonics work, we've figured out stiff barrels shoot better than flimsy ones, 2 ways to make a barrel stiffer, make it shorter or fatter, its a fact.
and yes mystro I hunt with that rifle, it weighs 14 pounds but because I can whack a deer with it at 1000 yards with confidance, I carry it.
RR
Glad to see you posting again.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
And that's the way it is!!!

I strive too be that succinct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.