Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Slug Sighting Question >

Slug Sighting Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug Sighting Question

Old 08-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Slug Sighting Question

I hunt in Quantico, Virginia and they use Slugs only and it is very thick woods normally we might get a 75 or 100 yard shot sometimes but normally about 30 to 50 yards.

I was wondering what should I sight my scope in at if I want to be dead on from 25 yards out to 100 should I set it to 1 inch high at 50 yards so that I can shoot close up but also far away ?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are using a rifled slug barrel and sabot type slugs, this is what I'd try based upon your info. Sight the firearm dead on at 75 yards. Move the target to 50, aim dead center and note the point of impact. Repeat at 100 yards. I suspect that by bing dead on at 75, you can hold in the middle of the kill zone of an average sized deer and be deadly from point blank to 125 yards.

If you are using a smooth bore and rifled slugs, I'd set dead on at 50 and check at 25, 75 and 100. The rifled slug uses a tremendous percentage of it "flying" energy creating and maintaining the stabilizing spin necessary to stay on line. It will slow down dramaticlly compared to a sabot that leaves a rifled barrel already spinning. Ther resulting arc is rather dramatic. And the rifled slug takes a split second to start spinning, resulting in a tad of waggle just past the muzzle before it starts to stabilize. The results in inherently larger groups that a well tuned rifled barrel/sabot set-up.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try 2 inches high at 50...That should be close to dead on at 75 and maybe an inch low at 100, depending upon how high the scope is and the slug used...Need to hit the range to verify...Good Luck...
Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

You want to be 2.5" high at 50 yards this will put you in the kill zone out to just over 100 yards
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

There's no magic formula; every gun and round is different. So the answer is, it depends. In general, you probably want to be a little high at 50. Sight in accordingly, and see what it does at 100. Then adjust.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

100 yards is good for most deer guns....................

3" in the field is also good !

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-09-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

depends on your cartridge/ammo in part.

my slug scope parallax is set for 75 or 100yds I believe.

I'd take a look at the ammo trajectory and see what makes the most sense.
At a 100yds it may be possible to just point and shoot from 0-125yds

at 50yds it may be dropping 6" by 100ds,

off the top of my head I think dead on at 75 or 100yds would probably make the most sense, because at 50 or 75 yds you can just point and shoot and still make a good shot/kill.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

I'm using Remington 11-87 20 Ga Fully Rifled Slug Gun Semi Automatic and I'm using 20 Ga Remington Copper Solids both the 20 & 12 Ga for this particular ammo say dead on at 50 yards so I figured if I was 1.5 or 2" high at 50 then I would be good to go from point blank out to 100 without having to compensate my aim mark I can pretty much just hold behind the shoulder and shoot
Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kinda what we are telling you but you also need to verify at the range...Tables are "guides", not the Gospel...
Old 08-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My .02 for what it's worth. Try and figure out the maximum range of your gun and ammo. Shotguns with slugs seem to have a point where hitting the target become erratic. With a smoothbore and just a front bead that distance might be 50 yards, while one of the newer specialized slug rifles that distance could be closer to 175 yards or more. My bet is that your rig is probably capable of 150 yards, so you might as well figure out how to hit the target at that range. Then let the gun tell you what distance to sight it in for. You have to find a balance point where the slug doesn't hit too much higher than the point of aim at shorter range, or need excessive holdover at long range. As an example, if the maximum range where you can hit consistently is 125 yards, maybe sight the scope so you can put the horizontal crosshair even with the top of his back at 125 yards.