Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Looking for versatile bolt action rifle, with ranges of 600+ yards for a good shot >

Looking for versatile bolt action rifle, with ranges of 600+ yards for a good shot

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for versatile bolt action rifle, with ranges of 600+ yards for a good shot

Old 06-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Spike

Default Looking for versatile bolt action rifle, with ranges of 600+ yards for a good shot

I am currently at a training command in the US Navy, so i will be moving around, but I'm looking for a bolt action rifle that would be good for hunting game from white tail to mule elk. Also with the ability to shoot over ranges accurately, i was thinking a heavy barrel. Overall just a solid platform I can put a nice scope on and can depend upon being a straight shot. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated

jon

(price range up to around 2000, but preferably around 1000-1500)
Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Just rifle recommendations and not caliber?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Spike

i was planning on going for a .308, just not really sure on rifle. i like Remington but i dont have very much experience, looking for any insights
Old 06-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Couple of comments/questions/suggestions...

1...What type of hunting do you intend to do? Stand or stalking? The reason I ask is because packing a heavy barrel rifle up and down the hills of someplace like Montana...we'll, you'll only do it once (speaking from experience)...hunting from a stand makes a 10+ pound rifle more tolerable...so consider your hunting style as you consider your purchase...

2...Caliber? Some calibers lend themselves more to long range hunting than others...600+ yards is a long ways off and very few people can actually accurately hunt at that range...and those that do, have spend a loooooot of time on the range and sling a lot of lead. There are a few people on this forum that can shoot out that far and do...RidgeRunner is one I'd talk to...

3...Do you want an off the shelf rifle or a custom build? I am betting not many average out of the box rifles will consistently shoot out past 600 yards without modifications, reloading and great (not good...great) glass. You might look at the Savage Model 10 FLCP/FCP series in 308...I have one I built to start long range shooting with and for an off the shelf rifle they are probably capable of the job...I am still breaking mine in and developing loads but and consistently hit an 8" plate at 250 yards after about 200 rounds through it.

Talk to some people who really long range shoot and not just those that play at it (like me)...at the end of the day, while the rifle is a critical element of long range shooting, as is the right bullet/load (handloading is almost a must!)...the shooter is more important and a lot of range time will be required...there's no substitute to range time. Enjoy the search and take your time!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Spike

mostly hunting stand, but really depends on my next station. preferably an out of the box gun,just not really sure what models are known for distance shooting, many because i enjoy going to the range alot and pushing my marksmanship, just never had my own rifle
Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're in the Navy? Thank you for your service.

Now, go talk to your company armorer.
They will have a better idea than most what rifle to get. Second, they may be able to build you one, from the ground up.
Or, maybe better, since the Navy and Marines are nearly inseparable. Talk to a Marine armorer.
They military has some of the best weapons knowledge in the World. Most armorers, if they can't find or build what you want. Will know who to talk to, to get the job done.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
You're in the Navy? Thank you for your service.

Now, go talk to your company armorer.
They will have a better idea than most what rifle to get. Second, they may be able to build you one, from the ground up.
Or, maybe better, since the Navy and Marines are nearly inseparable. Talk to a Marine armorer.
They military has some of the best weapons knowledge in the World. Most armorers, if they can't find or build what you want. Will know who to talk to, to get the job done.
All great advise, but if you follow these instructions from guyz that "truly" know what they are talking about !!!

Thank you for your service !
Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first component you must be able to depend on to be a "straight shot" is the mass of carbon behind the rifle, the one manipulating what the rifle does.

You also need to be prepared to compromise. The heavy-barreled "long tom" that might seem ideal for a sedate day in the stand over Midwestern whitetails is going to beat your tail if you have to lug it 12 miles a day in hot pursuit of a herd of elk at 8,000-10,000 feet of elevation. Different game require different methods which, in turn, often dictate different equipment.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a lighter contoured, 20-24" barrel. Most manufacturers offer something in that range, depending on the chambering. Your best bet is to see for yourself, handle them, see what feels right in your hands.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Browning X-Bolt (or A-Bolt) and the Remington 700 or my out of the box favorites. Either one would serve you well.

I think there are a lot of better choices than the 308. If you really like the short action, check out the 300 WSM.

Homer is spot on about the heavy barrel. There is a reason they call it heavy.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 06-19-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

My choice would be a Savage in .338 Lapua

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.