Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Looking for versatile bolt action rifle, with ranges of 600+ yards for a good shot >

Looking for versatile bolt action rifle, with ranges of 600+ yards for a good shot

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for versatile bolt action rifle, with ranges of 600+ yards for a good shot

Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I honestly do not think that the .308 you are thinking about would be the best choice for mule deer and definitely not for elk at ranges of 600+ yds. It simply does not have the KE required at those ranges to be humane. I would opt for a 300 WinMag or 338 Win Mag or bigger.
I've hunted for over 45 years in the east and in the west and most of my hunting was done with a Rem 700 BDL in .270 win. I killed several whitetails and antelope around the 300 yd range and a mulie at over 400. But the point I am trying to make is that in all those years I've never had a 600+ yd shot because I could always get closer. (the 437 yd mulie was the exception as I was trying to get a shot at him after stalking him for 5 hrs.). And even at that range I had a dead solid rest and shooting prone in zero wind.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
The first component you must be able to depend on to be a "straight shot" is the mass of carbon behind the rifle, the one manipulating what the rifle does.

You also need to be prepared to compromise. The heavy-barreled "long tom" that might seem ideal for a sedate day in the stand over Midwestern whitetails is going to beat your tail if you have to lug it 12 miles a day in hot pursuit of a herd of elk at 8,000-10,000 feet of elevation. Different game require different methods which, in turn, often dictate different equipment.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a lighter contoured, 20-24" barrel. Most manufacturers offer something in that range, depending on the chambering. Your best bet is to see for yourself, handle them, see what feels right in your hands.
This is the excuse I use when my wife asks how I could possibly need more than a dozen rifles!

Homer is most certainly right about one this point though...you'll only pack a 12 pound rifle chasing elk up and don hills all day long once...speaking from experience!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Major Woods
My choice would be a Savage in .338 Lapua
For deer? ......
Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
For deer? ......
Or squirrels...
Old 06-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm Rem.Mag. in Remington Sendero?

.338 Edge?
.340 Wby
.300 RUM / Win.Mag. / WSM
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
...It simply does not have the KE required at those ranges to be humane...
Nor do many shooters have the skills necessary to connect with an elk "humanely" at 600 yards, even when armed with something immensely more powerful.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Or squirrels...
hahaha...that reminds me of a funny story about a friend of mine...a 33-378 Wby and a squirrel...it wasn't pretty.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most shoot a 7MM RM, 300 WM or some derivation there of for hunting large game at 600 + yards on any regular basis.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
hahaha...that reminds me of a funny story about a friend of mine...a 33-378 Wby and a squirrel...it wasn't pretty.
I shot a few prairie dogs with a .375 H&H. It'd certainly kill them, but those 300 gr GKs probably didn't expand at all as they went through. On the other hand, a 50 gr V-Max driven at over 4000 fps from a .22-250 just absolutely vaporizes them.

My grandfather used to tell me that as long as I could keep all my shots on a paper plate, he didn't care what ranges I shot deer at on his place. That's really the crux of the matter here. If you can't keep five shots on a paper plate at any particular range, you have no business taking shots at game at that range.

I know people who ought to be able to comfortably take down an elk with a .308 at 600 yards, just as I know people who shouldn't be shooting at anything over 50 yards away.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
I shot a few prairie dogs with a .375 H&H. It'd certainly kill them, but those 300 gr GKs probably didn't expand at all as they went through. On the other hand, a 50 gr V-Max driven at over 4000 fps from a .22-250 just absolutely vaporizes them.

My grandfather used to tell me that as long as I could keep all my shots on a paper plate, he didn't care what ranges I shot deer at on his place. That's really the crux of the matter here. If you can't keep five shots on a paper plate at any particular range, you have no business taking shots at game at that range.

I know people who ought to be able to comfortably take down an elk with a .308 at 600 yards, just as I know people who shouldn't be shooting at anything over 50 yards away.
Well said Homer! The squirrel in question was hit head on at about 50 yards and pretty much "gutted" it...all we found was a pelt...hahaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.