Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Winchester Model 70 XTR 25-06 >

Winchester Model 70 XTR 25-06

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Model 70 XTR 25-06

Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
emf
Spike

Default Winchester Model 70 XTR 25-06

Hi I'm new here and new to guns in general.
This is my first Winchester and I want to put a little money into it and customize it.
The stock is perfect so the first thing I want to do is replace it with something synthetic so I can preserve the original.
So what I'm looking for is advice on what kind of stock to get for my rifle.

Is Hogue any good?
Attached Thumbnails Winchester Model 70 XTR 25-06-win70.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Replacement Stock

Look to McMillan or H-S Precision. You will need a gunsmith to properly bed the barreled action to the stock you choose. You will help yourself alot if you find a local gunsmith to guide you as if you're going to spend the money on a good replacement stock you want the length of pull to fit you well. This will make you a better shooter. Beware of the cheap replacements stocks as most are made of injection molded plastic resins.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 on Superpig.

Buy the best quality replacement stock that you can afford and have it custom fitted. If you have never had a stock truly custom fitted, I am going to wager that you'll be pleased at the improvemnt in the fell and balance. In my opinion fitting a stock is second only to a good trigger job when it comes to relatively inexpensive improvements that can be made to a typical hunting rifle.