Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
bullet preference >

bullet preference

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

bullet preference

Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Didn't know you were hurtin Ridge - heal well my friend !
Same here Ridge, I hope you are doing good!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

For deer I think any decent hunting bullet will work well. Have personally used Accubonds, Partitions, B Tips, Hornady Interlock spire points, boat tail spire points, SSTs, Interbonds, Sierra Game Kings and Pro Hunters. Factory ammo included core lokts and power points. All have done their job when the bullet was put where it belonged.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the SST basically an Interlock with the polymer tip instead of the soft point/spire point?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Probably an unanswerable question

Perhaps the closest we can come is that there are a number of bullets that will solve the problem of harvesting a deer.
The favorite bullet or the more expensive one will solve perhaps some hunter's problems.

Been using a bullet for over twenty years. It doesn't matter to me if newer ones are on the market. I solved my problem; you solve yours.

It doesn't matter if you use a more expensive bullet. I might not even aim for the lungs of the deer. Might just do it my way; an effective way perhaps older than many.

If you think there is only one bullet. You probably only use one.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Is the SST basically an Interlock with the polymer tip instead of the soft point/spire point?
Basically, they are a Interlock but they are also have a boat tail instead of a flat base. They have a high B.C. like the A-Max but are a hunting bullet instead of a target bullet. A great deer bullet, they have a relatively thin jacket and have a violent expansion with a impresive wound channel. A great long range bullet. At close range I have had them shed the jacket even though they are a Interlock. I had one shed a jacket two years ago on a whitetail at about 80 yards but it broke the shoulder and lodged on the oposite side just under the skin in the neck, dropped the deer in its tracks. The jacket was a perfect mushroom but I never found the core. I was shooting the 154gr out of my 280 at velocities that were to much for that bullet at that range. For deer its a great bullet, for a elk I would choose different.

Last edited by fritz1; 02-13-2013 at 05:18 AM.