Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Question about buying guns >

Question about buying guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about buying guns

Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about buying guns

Do any of you buy guns from online classified sites? If so, how do you handle the purchase? Obviously if its local you can go there, inspect the gun, pay cash...etc. I've done that.

What if you find the gun you like is from joe blow across the country? I know they need to ship to an FFL (except ML's)...but how do you guys handle paying for the gun? Seems like a real easy way to get ripped off, if you run into the wrong person.

I've been looking for a certain gun...thought I had one, but the seller bailed on me. Mean time...I wanted to figure out how to cover my butt. I've bought a couple muzzleloaders, and its always worked out great...but usually I "kinda" knew the person I'm bought from through a forum. Never bought a random rifle from an ad out of the blue.

Thanks for suggestions.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try looking for somebody with more than a couple sales on gun auction sites like gunbroker or gunsamerica. Should give you some more confidence in your purchase. I think they show how long they've been a member too.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Also, using pay pal is another Greta secure way to transfer money.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have made purchases through Bud’s Gun Shop, and it was very easy, as you can pick a FFL by entering your zip code, and choosing one of their “preferred FFLs”, for payment options you can use a credit card; use their GE Capital credit card, and extend the payments over a 6 to 12 month period without interest. You are able to send in a check through snail mail if you like, or have the funds wired from your checking account. They also offer 20% down, 90-day layaway, where you can mail or send electronic check for payment over the 90 days.
I have purchased two shotguns, three rifles, four GLOCKs, and two Browning pistols in the past year or so through their electronic check purchasing, and have not had an issue with it.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
Also, using pay pal is another Greta secure way to transfer money.

Not for firearms, as it is against their policy.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. I've bought through gunbroker and online dealers in the past... I'm really more asking about buying from an individual, how that is typically handled.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Not for firearms, as it is against their policy.
But if it was through private sale, they are never made privvy to what is actually being bought when you are going individual to individual. I wire my buddy money this way in Chicago all the time...

But i guess, if you ever had to dispute a claim, you might not be covered under their safe guards....

I was never aware they had a gun specific policy.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
But if it was through private sale, they are never made privvy to what is actually being bought when you are going individual to individual. I wire my buddy money this way in Chicago all the time...

But i guess, if you ever had to dispute a claim, you might not be covered under their safe guards....

I was never aware they had a gun specific policy.

You are right on both counts. If you send money as a gift and something happens they will not cover you. Their no firearms and weapons policy is why myself and a lot of other gun owners have stopped using them.

Here is the policy. Look at paragraph 2 section (i):

http://cms.paypal.com/cgi-bin/market...locale.x=en_US
Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the replies. What I've done in the past with an individual is sent them a USPS money order in certified mail. That way they have to sign for it, and if they try to rip me off its mail fraud.
Obviously I get all thier info, and they have mine and I verify they are who they say they are. And I always talk to them on the phone, and get all the details in writing (email) and if I get a good feeling... I go for it. I have bought several guns over the last few years like this and never had an issue personally. I didn't know if there was a better way to do it. Figured I'd see how others were handling the transactions. I have also sold some guns the same way, with no issues.
I didn't know paypal had that position, though I've never used that avenue of payment or accepted it (for a gun). Hopefully this thread can help folks that might be buying/selling online. Also, I have bailed on a couple deals that looked really good...but the details on the person and potential transaction seemed shaky.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Thanks for all the replies. What I've done in the past with an individual is sent them a USPS money order in certified mail. That way they have to sign for it, and if they try to rip me off its mail fraud.
Obviously I get all thier info, and they have mine and I verify they are who they say they are. And I always talk to them on the phone, and get all the details in writing (email) and if I get a good feeling... I go for it. I have bought several guns over the last few years like this and never had an issue personally. I didn't know if there was a better way to do it. Figured I'd see how others were handling the transactions. I have also sold some guns the same way, with no issues.
I didn't know paypal had that position, though I've never used that avenue of payment or accepted it (for a gun). Hopefully this thread can help folks that might be buying/selling online. Also, I have bailed on a couple deals that looked really good...but the details on the person and potential transaction seemed shaky.
This is exactly why I use GunBroker a LOT.. I've bought many guns through them, and never had one bit of a problem. An individual sells his gun through them for a percentage of the sale.
I always use the USPS money order route too, as most sellers prefer it to anything else. Since you say you have bought through them before, there is no use explaining the FFL work that must be used.