Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
winchester pre 64 model 70 >

winchester pre 64 model 70

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

winchester pre 64 model 70

Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a collecter or an authority on old Winchester 70's, but if it's been re-barreled and it's a good job using the same style barrel configuration as the original, I don't think it will sacrifice a ton of $$$. I'm not sure though. Someone else can probably fill you in best.

Sounds like a beauty regardless of current value. Pictures?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

To the OP: Here is a very simple question, as you own this rifle and all we can do is read what you type. Have you shot this rifle using 300 Win mag ammo since it's been in your possession and are you sure of the manufacturers date using the serial number you stated? If you haven't, DON'T shoot it until you have the chamber cast or can be 100% sure of what you have! There is no way that entire rifle existed as you now have it if it is chambered to 300 win mag unless it was rebarreled/rechambered to that caliber because that caliber was not introduced until 1963. It is either an older H&H caliber if you have never shot it, or has been rebarreled with the stamp on it and for the reason I mentioned above. Please follow up on this very important and serious matter and get back to us with the results. Thanks and looking forward to a definitive answer on what you have!

EDIT: I checked and the serial # does fall into the 1955 manufactured date. That takes care of that part of the equation. Now you need to answer or do what I mentioned above.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-22-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default Model 70

You will need to find out what model you have. I know it's a Model 70 but submodel such as Alaskan (Should have 25" barrel), Supergrade (Should have black fore end tip), etc. As stated the 300 win mag wasn't released to the public til 1963. Does your barrel have a rear sight that is dovetailed into the barrel? If the rifle has no sights it definately isn't the factory barrel. I would guess you have a one time Magnum caliber and the rifle was rebarreled to 300 win mag. However, the rifle could have been a standard caliber and a Gunsmith opened up the bolt face to accept 300 win mag. Do not fire but try to chamber a 300 win mag round. This round shouldn't chamber in a 300 H&H chamber.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Well first off, as many people have pointed out, the rifle (if built in 1955) can not be original, as the 300 WM cartridge wasn't introduced until 1963. And caliber has everything to do with value for pre-64 model 70's...the most highly valued calibers (according to the 3 different 2012 value guides I have the top grade value is...) are (in order from highest) 300 Sav ($9400), 35 Rem.,458 African, 7mm, 250-3000 Sav., 375 H&H, .257 Bob., 300 H&H ($2500)....and so on from there. Pre-war rifles generally garner more than post war rifles such as yours.

If the rifle is a re-barreled action, which is has to be...the value is probably between $1000 and $1500 if it is in excellent shape and depending on which variety the rifle is...there are just to many varieties to list...but according to my books at the very least the action alone is worth $500 if it is functional and in working order.

You can write to the Cody (Buffalo Bill) Winchester Museum...PO Box 1000, Cody, WY and for a fee of $25 they will provide you a manufactures letter that will provide you the original data for the rifle based on the serial #.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you have a prototype..
Can't see Winchester or any other manufacturer throwing rifles out on the market immediately., They could have been playing around with that round for a few years before introducing it to the public..
Nazi Germany was playing around and experimenting with Rockets a decade, before they launched the V1 and V2..
Can't even think of the thought of Hitlers Nazi's secretly planning a way to take over the world. All Hitler had to do was build these Rockets load them up with Nukes, and drop them on NY Washington Paris London Moscow, and take over that way., Hitler didn't think he needed rockets to win.
With all this technology they had, and they were decades ahead of everybody else, and nothing getting bombed and destroyed by Allied
firepower, they would have had Nuke capability a few years before US dropped Nukes on ***an.It took the whole world to defeat Germany, thats how powerful they were.Not one Country could have defeated them alone., Not Russia, Not US, not England, not Canada, Nobody.
Say what you want, but Allies were decimated on DDay they broke throw the German lines, but it took slot of Countries and slot of men to do so., and if Russia wasn't fighting as well on the Eastern Front, all those Germans would have been in Normandy..Total decimation on Allies..
My sister in law works for Microsoft, she carries prototype computers all the time, one that we won't see on the market for 2 yrs..
Maybe Win thought the same way with the 300 Mag because the .270 Win was so popular they held off.
Just a thought

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 01-22-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

From Win Mag to Hitler and Nukes in one post---Good Gawd, LOL! There is no way that rifle was out to the public 8 years ahead of when that caliber was actually introduced. Manufacturers nowadays produce some "newbies" for the top gun writers, etc. and then go out into basic production after that. The OP either has a rebarreled rifle for the 300 Win Mag or the H&H was not stamped on it if the barrel is the orginal because of what I stated earlier due to manufacturers not wanting to use proprietory names of others in the business. He should be able to easily figure out what he has and get back to us.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try this:

http://www.winchestercollector.org/forum/index.php
Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
From Win Mag to Hitler and Nukes in one post---Good Gawd, LOL! There is no way that rifle was out to the public 8 years ahead of when that caliber was actually introduced. Manufacturers nowadays produce some "newbies" for the top gun writers, etc. and then go out into basic production after that. The OP either has a rebarreled rifle for the 300 Win Mag or the H&H was not stamped on it if the barrel is the orginal because of what I stated earlier due to manufacturers not wanting to use proprietory names of others in the business. He should be able to easily figure out what he has and get back to us.
+1....I had to laugh too....impressive!