Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger Gunsite Scout >

Ruger Gunsite Scout

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Gunsite Scout

Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger Gunsite Scout

I hunt a lot of public land and places that require me to do a lot of hiking. I am looking for a gun that would be easy to walk with but yet able to hit out to 200 yards. I came across the Ruger Scout at the local gun shop and was wandering if anyone had any experience with it in a hunting capacity. There were two people there who had shot them on the range but never hunted with them. Both of them really liked it. Currently using a Savage 110 in 30-06.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some love 'em, some don't. One downside is that the scope FOV tends to be rather small. I'd rather just have a Ruger compact with a low power, large FOV scope.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Currently using a Savage 110 in 30-06."

I take it you're hunting outstate, as Indiana doesn't allow the 30-06.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Yes. My college roommate lives in Kentucky and I have relatives in Colorado. I use my H&R Ultraslug in Indiana. Standing hunting with that gun.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a couple of notes. If you intend to hunt with it, a 10-round magazine is going to cause you problems in some states with limits on magazine capacities. I'd check them before you buy.

Ruger lists it at 7 lbs without any optics. That's not exactly a "light" rifle, particularly for a short-action "walker".

They're long out of production now, but look through gunbroker and find yourself a Remington M600 Mohawk in .308. I have one in .243, bought it new in '78. Accurate. Compact. Light.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Id buy a Savage Light Weight Hunter, I got one not long ago in a 308, topped it off with a Leupold 3-9 Ultralight, it is a pleasure to carry and extremely accurate. They come in both short or long action in various cartridges. The short action just weighs 5.5 lbs. In my opinion they are the nicest light weight rifle on the market for the money. I paid under $800 out the door for the rifle.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH