Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
AR bolt/gas-key question. >

AR bolt/gas-key question.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR bolt/gas-key question.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default AR bolt/gas-key question.

Can you use the bolt from a piston AR in a DGI gun?

I know that a common problem with DGI ARs is that the gas key can shoot loose. I see that the piston ARs have that part machined into the bolt as a single piece, and are therefore much more durable to endure the stresses of repeated piston strikes. Can I buy a piston style one-piece bolt and use it in a DGI gun?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Best asked here: http://www.ar15.com/
Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bulzeye
Can you use the bolt from a piston AR in a DGI gun?

I know that a common problem with DGI ARs is that the gas key can shoot loose. I see that the piston ARs have that part machined into the bolt as a single piece, and are therefore much more durable to endure the stresses of repeated piston strikes. Can I buy a piston style one-piece bolt and use it in a DGI gun?
If your rifle is DGI, you need to stick to DGI parts. The piston ARs I've handled are absolutely not compatible in terms of the bolt carrier with the bolt carrier your DGI system requires.

If you swap your DGI bolt and bolt carrier with one from a piston AR, you're most likely going to find immediately that it won't fit. If it does, you're more likely going to have quite a mess to deal with once you fire the first round, which - more likely than not - has little hope of actually cycling the action.

Not a good idea to attempt something in defiance of engineering.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It won't work. The gas key on an impingement rifle is meant to capture gas long enough to build momentum. The flat face of a piston bolt will smash into the gas tube, and won't capture the gas well enough to properly cycle.

Here's the deal man, you're making an issue out of nothing. Gas keys are more than plenty durable, and will not be the problem for your AR's action wearing out.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everybody.
I figured there was a good reason it wouldnt work.
Seemed too simple.