Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
AR shooting double shots >

AR shooting double shots

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR shooting double shots

Old 12-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Spike

Default AR shooting double shots

I bought a new, 223 AR-type rifle recently at a gun show. It has a Plum Crazy lower, and a Wilson upper. I just got around to sighting it in today. After shooting 20 or so rounds, the rifle started shooting two shots each time I pulled the trigger. I held the trigger down to see if it would shoot more than two, but it didn't. It's actually kinda neat, but I need to get it corrected. Is this a common problem, what is the cause and solution?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Best asked here: http://www.ar15.com/
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Spike

Will do. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

One stage or two stage trigger ?

It can happen with one stage triggers (if you hold the trigger back) as the gas operating system will "rock back" until the sear re-sets itself: and then fires again.

Here is what they call "bump shooting";

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyGomS-_Cy0

It's happened to me as well.

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-01-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:33 AM
Fork Horn

Take the bolt apart and clean it. Make sure all carbon build up is removed from the firing pin. If the firing pin is dirty it could cause it to stick and protrude and fire when the bolt goes back into battery. It is possible that the problem might be the ammo itself. The primers could be of a softer metal and the firing pin could be hitting them just enough to cause a slam fire. Maybe try a different brand of ammo if you haven't already. It could possibly be the engagement of the sear. The previous owner may have tried to lighten up the trigger by stoning the sear and may have taken just enough metal off to cause the sear to not reset properly. Those are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.
You need to square it away as quickly as possible though. It is illegal to have a weapon that fires more than one round with a single pull of the trigger. Looking on AR-15.com is a good start but if you can't sort it out there then maybe you could take it to a gunsmith.