Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bullet fail... >

Bullet fail...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bullet fail...

Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bullet fail...

.270 WSM...140gr Accubond CT Winchester Supreme...300 yards...milk jug.

Bullet on right was recovered INSIDE the milk jug, didn't even penetrate thru a milk jug full of water! The other bullet hit a touch low on the second shot and was recovered ON TOP of the dirt.

Both bullets expanded as expected, just zero penetration. I would sure hope that an "elk rated" bullet would go thru a milk jug. We were getting ready for a Nebraska whitetail hunt and this happened, the gun/ammo stayed home and another rifle came along with us...

After the rain quits we are going to video shooting into a milk jug and send it to Winchester.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
never saw that with an accubond, and I've shaot alot of them. most probably an improperly fluxed bullet or possibly that lot, the accubond is the exact bullet as the ballistic tip except the jacket is chemicaly bonded to the core, just like soldier sticks to copper where ya put the soldering paste.
RR
We are going to go shoot some more of them and see what happens. Something isn't right, they should go thru a milk jug.

Even if they aren't bonded correctly, they should still penetrate thru the jug I would think...?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

to be fair 99% of the bullets on the market use hydraulic force to make the bullet expand and what is going to make a bullet more violently expand then straight water (ok high pressure hydraulic oil might be more rapid). what might be a better test if you cant get gel is to take a media like clay and something that can be made into a paste and get it to 55%-65% water to match its water content to that of a animals body. given that most flesh is mostly water and protein, gelatin is without a doubt the best test. noslers are also usually designed to expand at fairly low velocities so that usually means slightly more rapid expansion at short range. in my opinion if a bullet can produce the same result every time it hasnt "failed", it has only done what it has been designed to. it wouldnt be the first time a bullet has been made to not pass through a animal in favor of a "expending energy" within the target. if the bullet doesnt meet your standards and you dont have dies for your 270 wsm maybe try a trophy bonded tip or a tipped triple shock
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dylan_b
to be fair 99% of the bullets on the market use hydraulic force to make the bullet expand and what is going to make a bullet more violently expand then straight water (ok high pressure hydraulic oil might be more rapid). what might be a better test if you cant get gel is to take a media like clay and something that can be made into a paste and get it to 55%-65% water to match its water content to that of a animals body. given that most flesh is mostly water and protein, gelatin is without a doubt the best test. noslers are also usually designed to expand at fairly low velocities so that usually means slightly more rapid expansion at short range. in my opinion if a bullet can produce the same result every time it hasnt "failed", it has only done what it has been designed to. it wouldnt be the first time a bullet has been made to not pass through a animal in favor of a "expending energy" within the target. if the bullet doesnt meet your standards and you dont have dies for your 270 wsm maybe try a trophy bonded tip or a tipped triple shock
That's the thing, this is a bullet in the same class as a trophy bonded and triple shock. It is designed to penetrate NOT expel all it's energy within the animal. My .243 at 600 yards will penetrate a milk jug. If this bullet hits bone inside an animal what do you think would happen?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I think the 270 WSM is pushing to much velocity for that bullet, it is causing rapid expansion and quick deceleration. Slow it down a bit and it probably wouldnt have any problem penitrating that jug. JMO. I have used accubonds in a 338 mag on milk jugs, it flattens them, and you deffinitely wont find a bullet. But then again I just re-read your post and you stated it was at 300 yards, it should have slowed down plenty at that range. I havnt a clue what to think now. I have always had good luck with accubonds but I also handload and dont use factory ammo. I wouldnt think that would have anything to do with it either, it is the same bullet regaurdless of who loaded it.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 270 WSM and load 140g Nosler AccuBonds for it, and granted I am loading at the lower end of the spectrum @ 2950 FPS...and I have never had a bullet failure with it...I have taken in the neighborhood of 20 deer with it over the past 3 years ranging in distance from 46 yards (yup....took a dandy 3.5 year old 7 point this year) out to 319 yards...bullet performance has always been perfect.

According to Nosler stats, Accubonds require 1800 FPS but have unlimited upper end velocity.

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Accubond.aspx
Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
That's the thing, this is a bullet in the same class as a trophy bonded and triple shock. It is designed to penetrate NOT expel all it's energy within the animal. My .243 at 600 yards will penetrate a milk jug. If this bullet hits bone inside an animal what do you think would happen?
I wouldnt put the AB in the "superduty" range of bullets like the TTSX & TB!

I never could bring myself to trust "Glued bullets". I think they are more marketing than terminal performance. Stick some 140 TTSXs in that 270wsm & go DARE an elk to get in its path!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I admit I'm an old hunter who is a little prejudiced against those lighter bullets followed by three or four letters.

I used a 35 Rem when I was young. It certainly moved relatively slow as bullets go. But every bullet entered and exited all the deer I shot. Then I found a just harvested deer with an entrance wound and no exit, even though it dropped on the spot. I saw a slight bulge just under the far hide. I cut it out and later measured it. It was a now .70 caliber bullet, twice its normal width.

Good thing, I thought, that bullet didn't travel any faster. From then on, that 35 Rem was always fast enough.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I've got reasonable expansion at 1650 fps shooting 160 .284 accubonds.
RR
I was kinda surprised to see the 1800 FPS on their site, I swear when they first came out it said 1300 FPS, I should go look at some of my older boxes and see what it says...
Old 12-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
I wouldnt put the AB in the "superduty" range of bullets like the TTSX & TB!

I never could bring myself to trust "Glued bullets". I think they are more marketing than terminal performance. Stick some 140 TTSXs in that 270wsm & go DARE an elk to get in its path!!!
I have witnessed 3 bad experiences with TTSX's...will never load their junk ever again.

That being said, I have never seen nor experienced an accubond fail, and I have personally taken over 20 deer with them in the past 4 or so years between 46 and 320 yards and have seen 40 or so more taken by friends during that time clean out to 450 yards...all in 270's...

Nosler makes an awesome product, I have loaded them for over 30 years as I grew up reloading with my grandfather who lives in Bend, OR and have had the opportunity to visit their factory many times. Their product and quality control is above all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.