Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Handgun for home defense/target shooting >

Handgun for home defense/target shooting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun for home defense/target shooting

Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Handgun for home defense/target shooting

Hi everyone,

Just wanted some opinions to help me out with an upcoming purchase. I own many rifles and shotguns but the only handgun I have right now is a Ruger MK III. I have shot quite a few different handguns in multiple calibers, so I have some experience there.

I am looking to buy a handgun for home defense and target shooting at the range. It will never be used for CCW, as I live in the wonderful state of Illinois which will pass CCW laws when hell freezes over. So it doesn't need to be compact at all.

I prefer a handgun that is either SA/DA or striker-fired. I'm not interested in a DAO pistol. The handgun MUST have a manual safety - not interested in Glocks or the like that only have the trigger safety. I have shot the Springfield XD, and I really don't like how it feels in my hand, so that is out as well.

As for caliber, it should be 9mm mostly due to ammo cost, as I will be shooting it a fair bit at the range. I really like the .45, but ammo is too expensive.

I have shot the Taurus 24/7 quite a bit, and like it, but I am open to other options. Opinions????

Forgot to add- pricewise would like to keep it under $500. Thanks for all replies...

Last edited by oldsmellhound; 11-19-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like the 40 cal
can get a good deal on a used one and have some cash left over.
i like glock, you can sprinkle sand in there and it will not jam up. tested it myself. took me damn near a year to get the sand out the spring.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I've carried a Glock 23 for several years now, too bad you don't like Glocks...

After that, I'd go with a 1911, in .45...

As far as a 9mm, I wouldn't trust my life with it...
Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. I like how Glocks feel, I just want a manual safety- call me strange - so Glocks are out. I don't like shooting the .40 cal at all - too snappy of a recoil in the handguns I've shot it in.

My 1st choice would be a 1911 in .45 - I love shooting .45's, but most are a bit pricey for me, plus the ammo is too expensive.

As for not trusting a 9mm, I am a firm believer in shot placement, and I have plenty of confidence in a high quality 9mm self-defense round being able to stop an attacker with a well-placed shot. If I was buying a self-defense pistol only, and wasn't going to burn up much ammo though, I would be getting a .45....

Also, I do have a home defense shotgun - so the pistol I'm getting is really more for target shooting, but I want it to double as a home defense gun.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Beretta PX4 Storm. Can be a 9mm, .40 cal or even a .45 ACP. Its DA/SA with a manual safety and has a picatinny rail to mount a flash night if you'd like. Little higher than your budget, typically $550.

I own the Compact, which I CCW and use as a home defense gun and I love it. Never thought id care for a polymer gun but this piece has really impressed me. Not to mention the trigger is so buttery smooth and with the rotating barrel there is less recoil than most other firearms in the same caliber. Cant even compare to a Glock.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Beretta PX4 Storm. Can be a 9mm, .40 cal or even a .45 ACP. Its DA/SA with a manual safety and has a picatinny rail to mount a flash night if you'd like. Little higher than your budget, typically $550.

I own the Compact, which I CCW and use as a home defense gun and I love it. Never thought id care for a polymer gun but this piece has really impressed me. Not to mention the trigger is so buttery smooth and with the rotating barrel there is less recoil than most other firearms in the same caliber. Cant even compare to a Glock.
Buds has the PX4's for $399 right now.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd just stick with yer Ruger.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

I am looking at getting the Ruger SR9. I like the feel of it and I have shot one a few times now. Probably will be my christmas gift to myself this year.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
Thanks for the replies. I like how Glocks feel, I just want a manual safety- call me strange - so Glocks are out. I don't like shooting the .40 cal at all - too snappy of a recoil in the handguns I've shot it in.

My 1st choice would be a 1911 in .45 - I love shooting .45's, but most are a bit pricey for me, plus the ammo is too expensive.

As for not trusting a 9mm, I am a firm believer in shot placement, and I have plenty of confidence in a high quality 9mm self-defense round being able to stop an attacker with a well-placed shot. If I was buying a self-defense pistol only, and wasn't going to burn up much ammo though, I would be getting a .45....

Also, I do have a home defense shotgun - so the pistol I'm getting is really more for target shooting, but I want it to double as a home defense gun.
are you suggesting a 40 is "snappier" than a 45? i beg to differ
Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Did u think about a 357 revolver? You could shoot cheap .38 spl ammo for target. Not gonna find a more reliable gun and certainly has the stopping power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.