Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Handgun for home defense/target shooting >

Handgun for home defense/target shooting

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun for home defense/target shooting

Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Spike

I think glock would be the way to go, but ive heard that glocks will malfunction and such under extreme conditions so i dont really know.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

I second the px4 storm. I just bought one a few months ago and it is very smooth and comfortable in the hand. Also very accurate gun. I have the .40 and was hesitant at first because I wanted a 9mm. I'll just say I'm glad I got the .40 and I haven't regretted in the least bit! If you're not looking to conceal I would look at the beretta 92F also.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
are you suggesting a 40 is "snappier" than a 45? i beg to differ

That has been my experience with the .40 cal. I have only shot 2 pistols in .40 cal in all fairness, but both of them had much more of a "whiplash" in the recoil that took me off target. The .45's have shot do have a fair bit of recoil, but to me it feels more like a "push" rather than a sharp snap back. I have shot several .45's - Ruger, 1911 style and Smith and Wesson. All of them were very controllable for me and easy to stay on target.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will look more into Beretta's - I have heard a lot of good things about the 92F and the Px4.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
That has been my experience with the .40 cal. I have only shot 2 pistols in .40 cal in all fairness, but both of them had much more of a "whiplash" in the recoil that took me off target. The .45's have shot do have a fair bit of recoil, but to me it feels more like a "push" rather than a sharp snap back. I have shot several .45's - Ruger, 1911 style and Smith and Wesson. All of them were very controllable for me and easy to stay on target.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will look more into Beretta's - I have heard a lot of good things about the 92F and the Px4.

The 40 S&W has a quicker, sharper recoil to me. The 45 ACP can be more described as a push or shove. Neither is difficult to shoot IMO. The 45 ACP also operates at a lower pressure which may be the reason for it's lesser perceived recoil.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jdecountryboy
I think glock would be the way to go, but ive heard that glocks will malfunction and such under extreme conditions so i dont really know.
where did ya "hear" this at.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jdecountryboy
Any gun will malfunction under extreme conditions, even glocks. The quality of care, how you handle a gun will be the defining issue. Personally, I dont believe in burying my gun in sand, or laying it in salt. Anyone who is trained to take care of their gun, will not do this in the course of owning them or carrying them. There are plenty of fanboys that will argue that to their grave.

From my handgun experience, the 40s&w is snappier to me, and to my wife as well. The 45acp is more of a push, and easier to manage, though I shoot a 40 just fine. If ammo costs are an issue, reload, it will drastically cut down your ammo costs.

Consider the M&P series pistols, as some of them can be had with a thumb safety. Also the PX4 isn't a bad deal either.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

I think the revolver would be the way to go ....... That said ... i am not in law enforcment not ex military.... and i love my glock 21 I have put 2000 rnds down range using cheap blazer and cheaper yet tula ammo ... not one ftf or ftb/ eject.Must be I got the one in a million that was made perfect yea me!!!!!

oh yea one more thing .... 45acp all the way baby .... cus shooting twice is just silly.

Last edited by nysmoker; 11-20-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

there is a guy who did a torture test on his competition glock, look and you can find it....shot thousands of rounds out of it, dropped it out of a plane, ran over it...it continued to function. Ive heard bad things about glocks but reliability has never been one.

that said, i think the perfect gun for you would be the browning hipower....super accurate, its 9mm, and if you ever did decide to carry it, its doable. Plus its made by mr john browning, who also designed the 1911....you can kind of see the bloodline in both of them.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by semi
Did u think about a 357 revolver? You could shoot cheap .38 spl ammo for target. Not gonna find a more reliable gun and certainly has the stopping power.
I agree 100%. A revolver is idiot proof. It is reliable and in the fog of night you don't have to think about how to use it. There are no issues with magazine failures if the gun is left loaded for a a few years.

Ask yourself what you want to have at 2:00 AM if you are wakened from a sound sleep. The only downside is that you can only load 5 - 8 rounds at a time depending on the make and model, though you can get speed loaders. Remember almost all gun fights are over in seconds and are done at very close range (say the hallway of your house - check out the NRA armed citizen column). If you are shooting at longer ranges than that, forget the hand gun and get a shotgun or an AR.

An above all else whatever you get, practice. Lots of folks buy a pistol and put a magazine or two through it, and never fire it again (this observation from a friend of mine who has a gun shop - most of the used hand guns he sells are in great shape).
Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I usually keep the 1911 or 44 mag by the bed, the wife likes her 38 special. I recently bought a 4510 Judge and love. It is nasty with buck shot and real nasty with pdx rounds. It also shoots 45 colts well. It will be the home defense gun from this point on. I like the idea of a shot round not going through several walls if i have to shoot it in the house. The buck shot or pdx will do plenty damage at home defense ranges. I also like a revolver over a simi auto when it comes to home defense. No worries with a jam or misfeed with a revolver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.