Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New & Just Bought My First Rifle >

New & Just Bought My First Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New & Just Bought My First Rifle

Old 08-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Spike

Default New & Just Bought My First Rifle

Hello Everyone!

I am new here, have hunted a number of times with my uncle and decided that I enjoy it immensely. A couple of friends and I have decided to take up hunting together, most likely in New Hampshire, so it was time to stop borrowing whatever rifle my uncle or one of his buddies brought along and pick up my own.

First and foremost, after much review, debate and consideration, I decided that the .30-06 was the caliber best for me. I have shot .243s .270s and .308s as well, so it is not like this will be the first gun I learn to shoot on, so I don't feel like I will develop any new bad habits from going with this caliber.

The next question was what gun to get. I had selected a variety of guns to look at and research, including the Mossberg 100 ATR, the Mossberg 4 x 4, Savage Axis, Marlin XL7 and eventually decided on the Ruger American Rifle. Bought it today, but because of state law there is a waiting period before I can take it home, so no pictures...yet.

Anyway, look forward to learning more from the experienced individuals here and will probably spend the first couple of days/weeks here doing more reading than posting.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome,

Glad to have you aboard. Ruger is a fine company to buy from. I've had quite a few Ruger handguns, but so far no long guns. I know they have a quality product, solid and trustworthy.

As for the Ruger American, I only know what I've read so far, so we'll all be very interested in your reports about the fit and finish, range sessions, etc.

You'll find this place a wealth of knowledge.

Again, welcome.

John (8mm/06)
Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome. The '06 is a fine round, and the Ruger 77 and #1 I have are fine rifles. I like the Rem. 150 gr. Cor-Lokt for whitetail.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the forum!

The reviews I have read on forums (take reviews in magazines with several grains of salt) is the Ruger American is accurate and well built.

Are you going to use iron sights or optics?

One piece of advice is to not shoot past your abilities. You want the bullet to hit your target. As you know, treat every firearm as if it is loaded. Be safe and follow all safety rules.

Do you a have a rifle in .22 Long Rifle that you can use to practice and work on your form? Ammo for the .22LR is much cheaper.

One thing you can do with no ammo in the chamber or magazine that costs you nothing is to practice shouldering your rifle and get your sights on target as quickly as possible. Be sure to keep the muzzle in a safe direction and keep the finger off the trigger until you are on target. Use the proper stance, grip, etc. when practicing. What you do in practice is what you will likely do when the time comes to shoot.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome! You made a good choice in company and caliber. Two of the many firearms I own are a Ruger Single Six stainless revolver and an M77 rifle in 25-06 that is a tack driver. Both are very well made and I wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone to buy a Ruger. Have fun and be safe out there!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Spike

Welcome, I'm new to the forum myself. Sounds like a fine rifle you got, make sure you post some pictures.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats and welcome aboard! I still have my first rifle (buried in the safe somewhere) and as RR said, many have since some and (not so many) have gone (my wife would prefer one leaves before a new one comes but she rarely opens the safe ...) You'll always remember the first! My first rifle was a Ruger and has always served me well! Enjoy many years of use from it!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 30.06 Spr. cartridge incoporates a 30 caliber bullet. It is a pet pieve of mine to see a cartridge described as a "caliber". I'll get over it . This is a superb choice. The cartridge is a 100+ year old design that has proven itself in the military, shooting competitions and certainly in the field. It will handle an extraordinary range of bullet weights.

Most rifles that I have shot that were chambered for the 30.06 Spr. grouped exceptionally well with bullets in the 165-180 gr. weight. This of course depends entirely upon what your Ruger American will "like".

I know nothing about this particular rifle design other than seeing it at my favorite hunting/fiahin' store. The Model 77 line has been a very well built and well reviewed rifle design for decades. I suspect that the American will do just fine.

If you are going to scope the rifle, take a piece of advice from one who has "been there and done that" ..... don;t scrimp on the scope. Buy the absolute highest quality scope that you can afford. There are plenty of excellent scopes from which to chose and lots of truthful reviews out there to help you make up your mind.

Last edited by Mojotex; 08-21-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone. I am going to go with optics on this rifle, looking to be around 200.00 for a budget on that, been looking into them, Nikon, Leupold, Aetec and my friend was telling me about one that started with an H but I don't remember it off the top of my heads.

Also we are splitting the cost of a Savage Mark II F .22LR to shoot at the range with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.