Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New & Just Bought My First Rifle >

New & Just Bought My First Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New & Just Bought My First Rifle

Old 08-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK I am ready for my "beating" ... and I'll get one from this reply. Anyway .... in your $200 range you are at the bottom end of "good". I feel the lumps groing now! But you do not have to sopend $1000+ to get a really good scope.

Take a look at Vortex, Pentax, Burris, Leupold and Bushnell. These all offer decent optics within $50 +/- of your price range. Honestly, I have had very little expereince with Vortex, but what I have had ... this scope line seems like a very good value. Friend has 2 and I like the clarity and low light performance of his .... which are both in the $275 range. Not sure yet how well it'll take field use.

I am not a fan at all of the low end Nikons or any Simmons branded optics. Avoid the "discount catalogue" stuff like the plague .... Osprey, Tasco, BSA, Barska, etc. Very poor QA, mediocre optics and "BS" ads. I bought a Tasco "World Class" several years ago and it "died" withing 4 seasons. It was on a 30.06 Spr. I bought a used rifle that had BSA "best' scope on it. In low light it was about like peeping down a straw, it "tunneled" so badly.

You can wait and save? The Ziess Conquest 3-9x40mm is a very good value in my book. Maybe buy used ??? Take a look at "Mark's Outdoors" in Vestavia, Al. On their web site is a listing of used scopes. These are trade-ins, "take-offs" and often factory demos. Usually can get a pretty good deal ... and this is a fine business which stands behind their used scope (and used fire arm) sales 100%. I have probably bought 10 used scopes from them for both myself and friends.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Spike

I forgot my receipt yesterday so I didn't get to get the gun from the store, but I have my receipt and my case and lock to go pick it up tonight. I will post some pictures and preliminary feelings on the gun.

Also I think I have settled on Leupold.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Spike

If you haven't bought your scope yet...look at a Bushnell Elite 3-9x40. They should run around $230-$260 and are great scopes for the money IMO. The Rainguard is a major plus if you hunt in any foul weather.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

You can find an scope of quality that will serve you well for years to come for $200...it isn't easy, but it can be done. I have had good luck with the Nikon Pro-staff scopes and a 3-9xc40 can be had for under $200...but a better option in my opinion is Swift optics...I have had several of their scopes...the one on my .270 has been on it since I bought the rifle 20 years ago and has never caused me grief. I also have one on a 223 and a 7mm Mag and recently put a 6-24x50AO on a new 308 target rifle. A 3-9x40 Swift Premier can be had for under $200 from places like OpticsPlanet.com and SWFA.com...don't forget rings and bases though (I am not a big fan of the factory rings Ruger includes).
Old 09-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first deer rifle was a Ruger M77 Mark II years ago in .30-06. Still have the rifle, and still hunt it from time to time. Great rifle.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Spike

What do you intend to hunt and where do you intend to hunt it? That should help determine the caliber and optics. Since you are from Rhode Island where I don't think you can hunt with a centerfire rifle, I suspect you plan on traveling.

A couple of suggestions. Don't ignore the used market. Lots of folks trade in rifles for the sake of getting the latest. Believe it of not, the 30-06 (the 06 stands for 1906) is still a modern cartridge. That old J.C. Higgins sitting in rack is likely a pretty good rifle if it is in decent shape. If you are hunting white tails in the bush a 30-30 is hard to beat. Similarly don't write off used optics. There are also good reasonably priced new optics to be had. Someone suggested Swift. I can't speak to their scopes but their binoculars are pretty good. The new Redfields, now Leupold's bargain line, are also pretty good.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by CT-Hunter
What do you intend to hunt and where do you intend to hunt it? That should help determine the caliber and optics. Since you are from Rhode Island where I don't think you can hunt with a centerfire rifle, I suspect you plan on traveling.

A couple of suggestions. Don't ignore the used market. Lots of folks trade in rifles for the sake of getting the latest. Believe it of not, the 30-06 (the 06 stands for 1906) is still a modern cartridge. That old J.C. Higgins sitting in rack is likely a pretty good rifle if it is in decent shape. If you are hunting white tails in the bush a 30-30 is hard to beat. Similarly don't write off used optics. There are also good reasonably priced new optics to be had. Someone suggested Swift. I can't speak to their scopes but their binoculars are pretty good. The new Redfields, now Leupold's bargain line, are also pretty good.
I will be going to NH to hunt, and already purchased the Ruger American in .30-06. I am not adverse to used, but my local shop did not have anything decent in .30-06 or .308.

I am however very interested in the Refield Revenge optics, but I have froze my spending on hobbies to invest more into my business for a bit, so I plan on doing a lot of research in the meantime.