Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Illiniois Gun Law Question >

New Illiniois Gun Law Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Illiniois Gun Law Question

Old 09-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll help you out here as an Illinois resident. A firearm must be transported, unloaded, in a case specifically designed for firearms. It does not have to be a lockable case.

As far as the ammunition goes I would not recommend carrying a loaded magazine in the case with the firearm. As someone said earlier different cops interpret things differently. Whether their interpretation is correct or not if they cite you for carrying a loaded magazine with the firearm because in their opinion it is then a loaded firearm ,it will wind you up in court and be a hassle that could've been easily avoided. It would also drop an arrest on your record and whether found innocent in court or not that record of arrest will be with you probably for life.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Spike

I've seen some ridiculous stuff when it comes to LEO's and firearms in the vehicle. The problem isn't really the state so much as the simple fact that 6 different cops have 6 different ideas about what's right and what's wrong. I always worry when going through Chicago but the problem certainly isn't unique to the people's republic of Illinois....(they did finally take down the billboard that warned you if you bring a gun to Chicago you go to jail, period)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

i am so glad i live in kentucky, i can put my loaded gun in the glove compartment or center console or any compartment installed by the manufacture or in plain sight without a cdwp. i can open carry anywhere on public property and i have asked most private property owners who most say go ahead.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
I recognize that Illinois is not a gun friendly state and does not allow concealed carry nor recognize CHL's from other states. I am traveling from God's Country (Texas) to Illinois in a couple weeks, driving my pick up truck. Neither the glove box, nor the center console has a lock. Do I need to buy a separate locking box to store my Sig in while in Illinois? Or can I simply stash the Sig in the glove box and the ammo in the center console? What do I need to do in this backward nearly God-forsaken land??? Note that I'll be in a slightly more gun-friendly area of the state where they make such fine weapons as Les Baer, Springfield Armory, Armalite, Rock River, etc...
Forgot to tell you that Les Baer in no longer in the state due to their beaurocratic BS also!!!! He went to Iowa!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Canvsbk
I've seen some ridiculous stuff when it comes to LEO's and firearms in the vehicle. The problem isn't really the state so much as the simple fact that 6 different cops have 6 different ideas about what's right and what's wrong. I always worry when going through Chicago but the problem certainly isn't unique to the people's republic of Illinois....(they did finally take down the billboard that warned you if you bring a gun to Chicago you go to jail, period)
As tough as it for me to say with being a LEO, you are correct. The highlight of my job is that with what I do, being found with a weapon is automaticly a sliver braclet trip. The other part is that I remember that sign!!!! I worked up there then and have since transferred to another agency, 16 yrs later.
Best thing it to keep it in a closed/secured, does not have to be locked, and ammo seperate. It can be in a magazine, but to relate to the KISS method, I would not recommend it just to keep from any hasseles traveling through.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

It doesnt matter cause the state game law trumps all. The cop can still site u for an uncased gun under the wildlife code
Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 AM
Spike

Almost in all state there are some restriction on gun under different conditions.So if you know that conditions its easy to carry any gun in any state without having any legal action.
lawyers in gold coast

Last edited by Camron29; 10-28-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illinois isn't the only state with this situation, but I'm waiting for the day when they rename everything to reflect the way things actually work.

It won't be "Chicago, Illinois" anymore, it'll just be "Chicago", and then if you go anywhere else in that state's borders, THAT should be called "Illinois state, Chicago"...
Old 10-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SnakeEater
" It says that weapons must be a securley cased in a storage area or trunk with ammo in a seperate location ". That is absolutely correct.
So how would that work if you own a jeep or suv? It's the same area...lol I'm guessing if it's not in with the weapon your okay
Old 10-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tom 47
I travel from PA to Wyoming through Ilinios and Michigan to Wyoming to hunt every year. I keep my rifles in a case behind my seat on the floor with my range bag on sitting on it along with my suit case boots and other hunting gear. Case can be locked but have not in the past. If I am reading the above right I should not be carrying the amo in the cab with my rifels.
You can carry the ammo in the box with the weapon if you wish. Just not in the weapon. You can have all you want in your vehicle as long as the weapon is not loaded. That even includes having the magazines loaded and in the same case, just not in the weapon. I personally would not have any mags loaded or ammo in the case if going through or near Chicago, even though it is allowed by Illinois State law. The weapon case must be closed fully, though does not have to be locked with a padlock device.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.