Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 super x power points >

super x power points

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

super x power points

Old 09-05-2003, 12:41 PM

Default super x power points

Are these any good? How do they rate in accuracy and expansion compared to the federal soft point and the core lokts? Thanks
Old 09-05-2003, 02:11 PM

Default RE: super x power points

I have found Winchester Power Points to be equal to either Remington Corelokts or Federal Hi-Shoks. Actually if I were to try to describe them more graphically, in my opinion, I would call the Federal Hi-Shoks the " softest" of the three. Next would be the Power Points, and finally the Corelokts would be the toughest. That is not to say that any of the three are better or worse, just the " softest" bullets expand quicker and penetrate a little less. So match the bullet to the game and your needs. All three bullets kill medium game (deer, black bear, caribou, etc.) equally as well. If on the other hand you seek a bullet to give more certain penetration on really large and or tough/dangerous game then seriously consider a " premium" bullet such as Nosler' s Partition, or Swift' s A-frame, etc.

As far as accuracy goes.....every rifle is a different " law unto itself" . The only way to know if Power Points will be accurate in your rifle, is to try them!
Old 09-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

For deer sized animals they are an excellent bullet....but almost any bullet if fine for animals 200 pounds and less.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:22 AM
Host of Hosts

I have to say for accuracy I found the core lokts were better. But that' s in my rifle, you should try them all before making a decision.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Drh, I thought you picked up some federal seirra gamekings and Hornady' s??? I will bet you won' t have to search any further than either of those 2 bullets for accuracy and they will preform very well on whitetails. To boot a superior bullet design & construction than any you made mention in this post.

If you are interested in rapid expansion and accuracy than as I suggested before try the Ballistic Tip offerings by either Federal Prem., Winchester supreme or Hornady.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:43 PM

can i suggest the sierra gameking' s. great accuracy outof my 308win and 30-06sprg.

but i have found the win X power poits to shoot okay in my 2 308win' s and my 2 30-06sprg' s. roughly around 2.5"