Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
a magazine springs life expectancy???? >

a magazine springs life expectancy????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

a magazine springs life expectancy????

Old 01-29-2002, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default a magazine springs life expectancy????

I found out many years ago that if a pistol magazine is loaded for a long period of time that the spring would become weak and cause jamming after the first three or four rounds are fired. I was wondering if anyone knows if law enforcement agencies rotate their magazines and how often to prevent this type of jamming. I have at least four factory mags for each of my carry pistols and I keep only two loaded at one time and try to rotate them with two other mags about every few weeks or so. I don't know if my practice is often enough but since I've been practicing this method I haven't had any problems with my mags causing jams.
Thanks.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:28 PM

Default RE: a magazine springs life expectancy????

Some springs are more robust than others but I rotate my mags at least every 2 weeks sometimes every week. Better safe than sorry. But I have never asked if the local law enforcement does around here. Never crossed my mind.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never noticed any difference but I don't leave clips or magazines loaded .I have a home defense weapon but only half load the clip. Some guns I had were over eighty years old and never had a problem with any of them as far as the springs were concerned ..
Old 01-29-2002, 08:23 PM

Conventional wisdom says you are doing the right thing with occasional rotation....but then there are numerous cases of GI mags for 1911A1 pistols being left loaded for the better part of 50+ years with seemingly no detrimental effects.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:58 PM
BT
Typical Buck

When i was a DS i bought 4mag. insted of the requied 3. I keep them in rotation every week. And most of the time I keep the 2 extra ones on my belt missin one round "IE 14 rounds insted of 15" the one in the gun was fully loaded. --I have read that Jeff Cooper "G@A" shot a fully loaded 1911 with the same ammo in it sence WWII with out a malfuction. I have shot one of my uncles 9mm that was brought back from WWII it had been fully loaded sence he returend home it fouction fine.I have only had two mag. malfuction one was on a old 20ga bolt action shot gun and on a cheap mag for a 30cal. Ibelive that a good qulity "factory mag" is less likely to fail than a cheper stilled aftermarket one. For a pesonal defence of duty gun i would use factory mag. and for my pice of mind replace them about every 5years with new factory mag.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:22 PM

I used to about once every two months take the mag. apart. the spring should extend 1/2 the distance out of the mag. the spring should have a total of 1 1/2 the length of the mag. if it doesnt you can stretch it by hand. it seems strange but i have several mags that stay loaded , some i have had 12 years and still going. this will also help jamming . compressed mag springs are the #1 reason for jams,missfeeds or stovepipes. try it . by the way i was taught to do this in a firearms instructors class. i didnt think this up.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:38 PM

Greets,
Just want to say thanks for this thread, I have 2 mags only for my handgun. I keep both loaded at 9 of 10 rounds. One mag is aftermarket the other factory, the aftermarket mag produced a stovepipe jam last time I fired it. only once out of probably 40 rounds from that mag, ( 4 reloads, always fully load when on the range ). I will try the spring check and stretch it if nec, thanks again!