Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Value

Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best Value

I am thinking of an AR-15 and want one just to have. I dont want to build one, just off the shelf. I see a Bushmaster at Walmart for about 900.00. It has the sites that double as a handle, thats the style I want so I can add a site latter. Is there one as good at a better price? What brand? What brand and type of after market site would be goos as an add on. Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS, Stag Arms, Armalite, CMMG, Olympic Arms, Double Star just to mention a few.

There are a lot of them out there now-a-days............first thing is what to you intent to do with it ?

To choose exactly what you want and have someone put it together for you IMO is the only way to go - it does take a lot of research however !

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-30-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I want one, just to have and once in awhile take it out and shoot a few rounds through it.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Okay than...............buy the least expensive one you can find !

In fact, buy used: in that way you will get even more for your money !!!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to Walmart. They have some very good deals. You can buy one new for what you would pay for a used one, They carry Colt and Bushmaster. They carry a couple more but I'm not sure what they are.

I have a DPMS sweet sixteen upper that I traded for and a DPMS lower that I bought new. I am very happy and I only spent around $550.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

I have what was once a Bushmaster (piece of crap when I first got it used off of a friend real cheap)...it now has an Olympic Arms Upper, a reworked Bushmaster lower, a Pac-Nor target barrel (heavy) and a reworked adjustable trigger...after all the work, I have about $1300 in it...it shoots good now, but was horrible when I first got it. I also have a Rock River (entry tactical) and paid about $850 on sale at a gun show and have had to make no adjustments to it and it is a tack driver! I love the Rock River...great rifle!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lucky,

I only have one question ???

"You can buy one new for what you would pay for a used one,........"
Old 03-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Sheridan,

I've noticed that in my area as well. The used prices are just a little bit below the new. Gun sales are through the roof in our area. Local shop today told me that Ruger is not even taking orders right now because they are so far behind. And Taurus didn't have what I needed in stock and the wait period was "A few weeks to a year." Most shops don't have much on the shelf currently. So ya... used prices are extremely high right now.
-Jake