Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Shotgun shooting low...  Is there a way to fix it? >

Shotgun shooting low... Is there a way to fix it?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun shooting low... Is there a way to fix it?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shotgun shooting low... Is there a way to fix it?

My 12 year old daughters 20ga Pardner pump compact is shooting about 7" or so low at 20yrds. Is there a way to fix this or will I need adjustable sights so I can adjust it out?

The gun has been sent back to Remington because of this issue and it had a bent barrel and they replaced the barrel and I got the gun back today and it is still hitting low not as bad as before but way to low.

I layed the barrel on a flat surface and it seems to be good and straight. Unlike before with one end off the straight surface.

I tried changing the aiming bead but it was just about the same height off the rib as the other bead.

I know this is a cheap gun but I didn't want to spend too much not knowing if she would like turkey hunting or not.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a buddy that had a pump that shot off of the point of aim. The smith bent the magazine tube. Since the barrel is attached to the tube, the point of aim went with it. That may be your problem.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Inactive

Just a wild guess, but could it be the stock is not fitted properly ?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by x-mountie
Just a wild guess, but could it be the stock is not fitted properly ?
I just took a friend out to see if he shot the same as me and my daughter. And the point of impact was basically the same.

We tried the choke that came with it with regular bird shot and put the Turkey choke in and shot the Hevi-shot mag. blend through it and the center of impact was the same for both combos about 6-7" low.

Woud it be better to take it to a gunsmith or put rear sights on it and adjusting it that way? We have only one gunsmith in my area and I am not for sure if he as the stuff he would need to do it as far as bending the barrel.

I thought of tring to shim where the stock meets the receiver to bring the point of impact up but I have read good and bad on that, so I don't know if that is a good option or not.

Last edited by steve25; 03-26-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your cheapest bet would be to put a fairly flat cheekpiece (strap/tie on) on the stock. Raising the comb this way will raise the point of impact.

Originally Posted by steve25
I just took a friend out to see if he shot the same as me and my daughter. And the point of impact was basically the same.

We tried the choke that came with it with regular bird shot and put the Turkey choke in and shot the Hevi-shot mag. blend through it and the center of impact was the same for both combos about 6-7" low.

Woud it be better to take it to a gunsmith or put rear sights on it and adjusting it that way? We have only one gunsmith in my area and I am not for sure if he as the stuff he would need to do it as far as bending the barrel.

I thought of tring to shim where the stock meets the receiver to bring the point of impact up but I have read good and bad on that, so I don't know if that is a good option or not.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
Your cheapest bet would be to put a fairly flat cheekpiece (strap/tie on) on the stock. Raising the comb this way will raise the point of impact.
+1 good call !!!

I love it when it's simple.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Spike

Also, too long of a stock, LOP(length of pull), will normally cause a person to shoot low.