Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

used rifles

Old 03-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default used rifles

I have started the search for my brown bear rifle and after visiting our new Cabelas store i found that the only big bores they had in stock were used. While they all looked good what should a person watch out for in purchasing a used rifle? i have heard that there is a possibility of damaging the barrel due to excessive shooting but i don't have a clue what to look for.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I buy a lot of stuff from Cabelas, but the prices they charge for used rifles is silly. I have seen their used rifles priced at or above the new rifle price.

It is doubtful that you will find a used .338 or larger anywhere that has the barrel shot out from excessive use. I have seen medium and large bore rifles damaged by improper cleaning (and lack of cleaning), and banged-up crowns. Usually the heavier recoiling rifles do not get shot anywhere near the amount of times as the smaller rifles. There are some bargins to be had with used rifles with heavy recoil.

If you are not comfortable with used rifles for your bear hunt you might be better off with a new Ruger Hawkeye (with a good after-market recoil pad installed) or similar.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 03-23-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buying guns in Wichita is a great way to get ripped off, especially at the new Cabelas.

Personally, if a gun I want can be found NEW, then I'll willingly spend the mark-up for a new rifle. Better that than buying someone else's problems.

That said, I do look around for the best price. Gypsum Valley Outdoor Sports up at Gypsum (SE of Salina) gives fantastic prices, and Thad is great to deal with.

My wife has a Savage 16 Bear Hunter, hers is in .300 WSM, but they do offer it in .338win mag (116 I believe). Fantastic rifle, great looks, and very affordable price, even brand new, and very mild recoil. Thad at GV would order it for $800. A little more budget friendly would be the Savage 111 Package in .338winmag, which comes with a Nikon 3-9x40mm scope all for $488 (through GV).
Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anything I am buying for personal use, I always ask if I can test fire it at a range before closing the deal. If the answer is "No", I just move on. In general, look for wear and tear on the outside. Closely check the bore using a bore light. Also look at the crown. A crisp crown is a good sign. While a visual is no assurance that you are getting a good rifle.

I am a fan of working with a quality, mom-pop gun shop rather than a mega store when it comes to used gear. I have bought from two here in the Birmingham area ... Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia and Simmons in Bessemer. Both have good used firearms at reasonable prices and stand behind the used gear with a very generous time line guarantee. I would suspect any reputable gun shop up your way would do similar.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Spike

I have purchased used rifles at local gun shops that I deal with regularly with no problems so far. I do avoid the big box stores Cabelas, Gander Mountian, etc. The exception is shotguns. I have picked a couple shotguns that are really great. I found a modle 12 that someone had chopped off 2 inches to make a rabit gun. I had the barrel threaded and it now accepts screw in chock tubes. I will be my turkey gun this year. As if I needed another turkey gun.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Spike

Check the bore, make sure it's not pitted, rusted springs, or a bad firing pins are another thing to watch out for.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Spike

Buying guns in Wichita is a great way to get ripped off, especially at the new Cabelas
Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck!

The only used rifles I feel comfortable buying are 22 rimfires.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

I have bought many very good used guns at Auctions and especially at estate sales. You would not believe the amount of problems people have told me about when purchasing new guns. It makes me think the return rate must be pretty high, but I don't know because they are under warranty and never make it to a Smith.