Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
7mm Rem. Mag. too much >

7mm Rem. Mag. too much

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: will the 7mag be tuch for hogs in east texas only
yes
39.13%
no
60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

7mm Rem. Mag. too much

Old 03-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Spike

Default 7mm Rem. Mag. too much

Im thirteen and pretty big and strong for my age and was wondering if a 7mm mag was too much kick for me.i have shot ar`s. 270s 300savages and my uncles 30-06. Do you think the 7mag is to much for me?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let me tell you a secret, how big and tough you are has nothing to do with what gun you hunt with, pick the right gun for the game and go hunting...

Frankly, a 7mm-08 is a dandy rifle for big game and will kill just as well within say, 300 yards as a 7mm Mag...

Sure, once you get to 4-500 yard shooting a 7mm Mag helps, but 95% of the hunters out there have no business shooting at game at 500 yards...
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If ANYONE is concerned about how much a certain caliber/gun kicks I would recommend not shooting it.

............maybe even taking up a new hobbie ! LOL !!!

All this talk about "perceived" recoil from rough & tumble outdoorsmen ?!?!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

Only you can determine if it is too much for you. A caliber has a certain kick, but variables with the gun design itself can reduce the felt recoil. The ammunition being used also has an effect on recoil. Hotter loads kick more in most cases.

Basically, not all .270s kick the same using the same ammunition.

More importantly, we all have a certain tolerance for recoil. You can have two people of the same weight and height that have different tolerances.

My brother who is bigger and more physically fit than me has a pretty low tolerance for recoil while my father and I do not. We have a mid-range for recoil tolerance from what I have seen. Once we get beyond the .270 and 30-06 range it gets to be unpleasant shooting for us.

My brother has to use reduced recoil shells in the .270 or he can't handle shooting the gun. Full load rounds are tolerable for me. I would not want to do a lot of shooting with a .270, but then again the kick is not much different in my Father's .270 A-Bolt and my 7mm08 X-Bolt.

Basically, go out and shoot a gun chambered for the 7mm RM and find out if you can handle the kick (recoil).

As far as Texas hogs go, I'm not certain how tough they are. More importantly, what is your goal with hog hunting? Are you going to eat them, or are you trying to eradicate them? Answer those questions, and you can get sound advice.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't really matter much what you shoot a hog with if you put it right around or in his ear. Any centerfire with a decent bullet will do the job when you shoot them there. If you start shooting them in the body, then you will probably want somethng bigger than a 22 caliber because the wounds can seal up and make a hard tracking job. The last one I shot down south of San Antonio a couple years ago was with a Sako .243 right between the eyes at 85 yards and he went down without a squeal! I would have rather waited for a broadside shot in the ear, but I was losing light fast and he didn't want to turn.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Spike

I was wondering where the recoil stands as toward a 270. is it just a little bit more or a ton. I shoot my 270. all the time and dont really mind the recoil.

sfury thats not relly an optoin for me to go out and shoot one know one I know owns one.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Spike

As to shooting over 500 will not be in the question.in east texas you cant even see that far my farthest shot will be at around 250yards and we have hogs ranging from 80lbs to 450lbs i just wanted to make sure i had enough power for that and not have to much kick where it is un fun too hunt
Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is this what you want to see in order to know if you "want" a 7MM RM ?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Just need to learn how to shoot with good form and you'll be fine.

FYI - Take a look at the recoil from a 12 gauge shotgun with 3" or 3.5" loads.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

See what I mean...............still concerned ??

BTW - If I'm shooting a lot, I'll use Hornady 139 gr. SST's: very manageable recoil.

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-20-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 AM
Spike

thanks.i think i should be just fine knowing it just got little more kick than my little brothers 20. gauge
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .270 you already have should be fine...but having another gun is never a problem either! If it were me, I'd stick with the .270, but it is completely up to you and whatever makes you happy.

Recoil wise...I wouldn't be worried about that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.