HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm Rem. Mag. too much
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Sfury
Typical Buck

Only you can determine if it is too much for you. A caliber has a certain kick, but variables with the gun design itself can reduce the felt recoil. The ammunition being used also has an effect on recoil. Hotter loads kick more in most cases.

Basically, not all .270s kick the same using the same ammunition.

More importantly, we all have a certain tolerance for recoil. You can have two people of the same weight and height that have different tolerances.

My brother who is bigger and more physically fit than me has a pretty low tolerance for recoil while my father and I do not. We have a mid-range for recoil tolerance from what I have seen. Once we get beyond the .270 and 30-06 range it gets to be unpleasant shooting for us.

My brother has to use reduced recoil shells in the .270 or he can't handle shooting the gun. Full load rounds are tolerable for me. I would not want to do a lot of shooting with a .270, but then again the kick is not much different in my Father's .270 A-Bolt and my 7mm08 X-Bolt.

Basically, go out and shoot a gun chambered for the 7mm RM and find out if you can handle the kick (recoil).

As far as Texas hogs go, I'm not certain how tough they are. More importantly, what is your goal with hog hunting? Are you going to eat them, or are you trying to eradicate them? Answer those questions, and you can get sound advice.