Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning xbolt stainless stalker or rem 700 xcr >

Browning xbolt stainless stalker or rem 700 xcr

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning xbolt stainless stalker or rem 700 xcr

Old 02-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Between the two mentioned, I'd take the Browning and run. My last three experiences with Big Green guns were disappointing. I'm done with them. As mentioned, Sako's are very nice. I have a 75 (hunter) and an 85 (Finnlight). Both shoot great.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with the X-bolt. They are good weapons. Haven't seen a bad one yet. I have 2 older 700's that shoot great. My new one I tried hand and factory loads and can't get it to group better that 1 1/4" and my friends new 700 shoots about the same. But it is all about what you like I won't be using the weapon.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Spike

from what read about the sako 85 finnlight on their site sounds over priced same thing as the browning without 60 degree bolt lift which i really like other than that the only difference i could find is the magazine and how you can load it in the gun? is that even safe? other than that just minor things that i dont need but in canada at cabelas its over 850$ more than the browning is the difference in quality of the metals and machining or the parts actually worth that much more or am i just paying the shipping fee from finland?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

the sako bolt lift is 70 degrees I believe ie still a tri lock design like browning, but browning is 60 degrees I believe, weatherby I think is even less at like 53degrees, but 53-70 is all in the same ball park vs. 90 degrees.

I think Sako is a step up in overall quality/finish. Browning still might shoot as good or better.

Sounds like if you handle a browning and like it, get it!

how about an A-bolt Titanium ??
Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by salukipv1
how about an A-bolt Titanium ??
i haven't heard much about the a bolt but the hinged floor plate and the trigger don't sound the greatest and i didn't know they made a titanium one.

Last edited by Jarrey12; 02-02-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Remington, kimber, cz, nosler, savage.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both of your choices are very good rifles. Browning markets solid rifles, as does "Big Green". Sako makes an excellent rifle also but it is no better or worse than the other two as a hunting rifle. If the rifle is going to be an heirloom the Sako is the big winner. It is entirely up to you if it is worth the extra cost.

Of your two original choices I would pick the Remington, but would be extremely happy with either.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Spike

Well thanks everyone again for the opinions i will be sure to shoulder all 3 rifles when i go to cabela's next and i will make my choice based on the comfort. Does anyone know when the stainless stalker carbon fiber fluted xbolt will be available? i looked on brownings site and it said they were new but i havent found them at any stores websites.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jarrey,

I look at a new purchase like this.......................

List the features I "like/want" in a Rifle.

My list (within my budget - knowing I want to spend more on my scope than I do on my rifle....... plus bases, rings, sling & bi-pod if applicable);

#1 or #2 Detachable box magazine

#2 or #1 Synthetic - mainly back, but will look at camo

#3 Stainless steel or new tech coating - just non blued.

#4 7lbs or lighter (stripped)

#5 1.5" Drop at comb or less

#6 Classic stock - not Monte Carlo or thumb hole

Then internet search to find those rifles which have most or all of those features.

Next is to look at as many reviews on the ones that "made the cut".

Lastly, head to the gun shop and ask to see/handle each of those "few" that remain of interest.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Spike

Thats a good way to look it thanks i will consider that