Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Gun Safes - is this the right forum? >

Gun Safes - is this the right forum?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Safes - is this the right forum?

Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agree, get the dial.

I had my safe in my garage for a couple years when I first got it with no problems. Just make sure to get a goldenrod for inside your safe and you should be fine.

I recommend getting one with an "easy out" interior. I didn't, and its a pain in the a$$ getting guns in and out. Especially when you need one from the back and the safe is full. If you get a big safe, you can get an easy out and shelves. Shelves are nice...I store alot more than guns in my safe.

Bigger is better, they don't cost that much more. Get as big as you can afford. A gun safe that advertises holding 30 guns or 40 guns...won't hold near that many. Maybe 30 or 40 single shot shotguns, but when you have scopes, slings, etc...they take up more space.

Last thing...I wouldn't worry about a fancy safe with lots of bells and whistles. Most good safes are very similar, I would go with an economy model that has all the features you need. It will save you some $. Fire proof is a must.

There are some real good quality safes that don't have the fancy names and marketing associated with them for alot less than the big boys cost. Do your homework.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

not to mention used safes....safes do not lose value until they burn, or the digital combo goes out lol.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just make sure to get a goldenrod for inside your safe and you should be fine.
WV it looks like the Goldenrod works by keeping the inside of the safe warmer than the outside temperature. I live in Phoenix Arizona and I will be keeping the safe in the garage. For at least 4 months a year the temperature is always above 100 degrees. I'm not sure if I want something making it even hotter in the safe! How about the non-electric dehumidifiers?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got two safes with the electronic lock. One is about 8yrs old and have never had a problem. With my tired old eyes it sure makes it easier to open it up.