Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Mossberg 500 12ga Pump >

Mossberg 500 12ga Pump

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg 500 12ga Pump

Old 12-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mossberg 500 12ga Pump

Hey does anybody have a Mossberg 500 12ga Pump? or have like a review on it?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Spike

I would bet everyone here has or has owned a mossberg pump shotgun. They are solid guns for the money but there are definitely nicer shotguns out there!!! That being said I still have my mossberg 500 pump and a mossberg 500 slugster. My 500 has been my only 12 ga going on about 7 years now. Prob going to a benelli vinci next year once I try out my brothers xmas present after I give it to him... Not real impressed with my mossberg slugster, I have only found a few slugs that actually print decent groups at 100 yards with it. As for the mossberg 500 pumps, you won't find a better pump gun for the money. I would suggest saving a little more or shopping around and finding a Remington 870 to pick up rather than the Mossberg. JMHO...

Last edited by tnts79; 12-20-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Spike

Love it in a slug gun, It shoots 3" shells unlike the 870 in which you have to get the magnum reciever for. You can get a home defence, 26", rifled, muzzeloader, and a bunch of other custom made barrels for it. More versatile than the 870 IMO
Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one in 20ga slug, they are a working mans gun, nothing fancy, but they do the job for a great price. I picked up from Dicks Sporting Goods the combo, rifle/cantilever barrel, with a field barrel for $300 a few weeks ago. This will be a back up deer gun or if I just felt like using a pump. It will not out shoot my Savage 220f, or H&R Deluxe. Dollar for Dollar it's one of the better guns out there
Old 12-21-2011, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had my 500 for about 20 years. It has never broken or malfunctioned. I got a combo gun, came with a bird barrel (fixed modified choke) and a smoothbore slug barrel with rifle sights. I have since bought a barrel that accepts choke tubes, and that is what I use for turkeys. The full choke does real well with #5 and #6 turkey loads. I've killed them no problem out to about 35 yards. Of course there are better tubes out there that will allow you to shoot out to 50 or more, but the fun of turkey hunting is calling them in close. I've shot deer, rabbit, woodcock, grouse, pheasant, and a few other things with the gun.

I like the older ones better than the newer ones. I don't like the new fore-stock shape or the lighter stock color. I'd guess the new ones still function the same though, and I've not heard anything bad about the reliability of the new guns.

They are a snap to strip and clean too. I don't know how that compares to the 870.

You can't go wrong by buying a 500, or a 535 for that matter. Just realize you're buying a Chevy, not a Cadillac.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info
Old 12-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was my first shotgun about 35 yrs ago.Pretty good for the money but I had a few problems with it.The first time I shot it with the slug barrel the front sight flew off on the third shot.After about 9 yrs the action wouldn't lock up.Later the plastic safety button cracked.I bought the gun from Leslie Edlmans who offered a lifetime warrenty on all firearms for an extra 10 bucks which I went for but only the slug barrel got fixed free.They were out of business by time the other failures occurred.Not to bad I guess.I like that you can get an ML barrel for it.A few years ago I traded it in towards the 835.

Last edited by Bernie P.; 12-21-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: error
Old 12-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Spike

Mossberg 500 is about as bulletproof as you're going to find in a pump 12ga. A Remington 870 Express is a good choice as well...
Old 12-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Spike

Default Mossberg

I love all 5 of mine not pretty but there bulletproof. My only choice for waterfowl hunting.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

I got my mossberg 500!!!