Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Looking to buy Deer Rifle >

Looking to buy Deer Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking to buy Deer Rifle

Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Spike

I have been looking on u-tube and the best rifle for the money so far to me is the savage axis...The guy doing the video put a couple 30-06 rounds on a dime at 100 yards...look it up on u-tube. I personally was on a budget this year and found a 742 woodsmaster with an old tasco 4x44 WCP and see thru mts. for 175...I snatched it up...had to clean the chamber real good and put an extractor on it, $25...Went to the woods yesterday to sight it in (a little late in the season) and put a two 150 gr. wal-mart rems at 2 3/4 in. at 150 yards... I then proceeded to bag a nice little 4 point at 20 yds from a stand...so much for long distance shooting...will be making jerky today...
Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Spike

If anybody is interested in how to accurize a 742 woodsmaster here's what I did... I took off the front arm and dremeled anything that looked like it might touch the barrel, then under the gas vent block I attached several pieces of velcro so this would push the fore arm away from the barrel...like a little cushion...window stripping would work fine...and when I put the arm back on I left off the fancy white piece and the metal piece and just put the forearm screw and thick washer back on with lock tight (blue)..then I tightened it just snug and backed off it 3 turns..I don't know why tightening the forearm screw throws it off but I went from missing pie plates at 100 yds to placing shots 1 1/2 in from center point of aim at 150 yds..I also let my barrel cool between 2 shot groups. A lot of people call the woodsmaster a piece of junk but there's a deer in my cooler that will beg to differ...
Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Spike

Thompson Center Icon 308 with a decent scope. I prefer winchester 168 grain ballistic tips ammo. I shoot quarter size groups at 150 yards.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bosley
A lot of people call the woodsmaster a piece of junk but there's a deer in my cooler that will beg to differ...
I think a lot of those people have never owned a 742. I have one that is 40 years old and still does what it needs to without a glitch. I have several family members with 742s and 740s that are older than mine, and they still get the job done. I have two deer in the freezer with it this year and many others over the years. Key is to keep them clean, IMO.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

I'd take a look at Remington model 700 SPS in 30-06 and put a Leupold or Redfield scope on it and your good to go.