Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
marlin xl7   question/ experience >

marlin xl7 question/ experience

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

marlin xl7 question/ experience

Old 12-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Spike

Default marlin xl7 question/ experience

hi, ive won a marlin xl7 rifle in 25-06, just wondering if anybody has any experience with this model , or any tips , or input on it , thank you
Old 12-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

1st Hand lap the barrel

2nd Trigger job or replace trigger

3rd Pachmayr decelerator pad

4th Let your gun pick the ammo it likes best

5th We arear plugs & ear muffs (that's for you, not the gun - LOL !).
Old 12-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Spike

Do nothing there great guns! But you could check and see if your barrels free floated then maybe check the scope base screws and make sure there tight or better yet take them out and put some blue lock tight on them. Then you could install a metal trigger guard from a marlin model 60 i think 22. Have to mod the trigger guard a little bit but not to much. And adjust the trigger to your liking.

This fourm has tons of info on the XL7

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ma...erfire-rifles/
Old 12-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Spike

Love my xl7 in 30-06. Quickly becoming my favorite shooter. No problems, accurate and a pleasure to shoot...
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Spike

love my marlin as well - the deal was too good to pass up. though i'm normally a savage man, the marlin has a lot to offer for the money. the *only* issue i had was with the scope base. i took a scope that i'd zeroed on a 300wm off of that rifle to put on the marlin. my 300, a savage model 111, had no issues, and i had lots of "come up" left. but when i put if on the marlin and attempted to rezero at 100 yards, i found i was topped out - so i changed to a different base, and the problem has somewhat been resolved. i say somewhat because i put that scope (a nikon buckmaster i have loved for years) back on the 300wm, rezeroed, and all was well. but my marlin x7vh...who knows. haven't figured that out yet.

anyhow, here's the only thing i'd recommend to keep a great budget hunter still a great budget hunter: winchester m70 game reaper scope mount (long action for yours, i believe but measure your screw holes just in case). throw good glass on it - do *not* low ball yourself on the optics.

great overall rifle though.