Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Shooting Rests ? >

Shooting Rests ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shooting Rests ?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have this style of rifle rest: MTM Shoulder-Gard model
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...rests-sgr.html

I did slightly modify mine though, by adding a small velcro strap around the front rest, to keep the front stock & barrel a little more secure.

It is a great easily maneuverable, lightweight, rifle rest. You can buy it at Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mt.

Here's the results of my Savage .308 with 3-9x40 Bushnell Trophy scope at 100 yards. I have since tweaked the elevation knob up 4 clicks, so I'm an inch high at 100 yards...

Last edited by ButchA; 04-25-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Spike

Bi-pod and sand bags usually for my rifles..... and for my shot guns... I use sand bags and this other thing-a-ma-jig (that I can't remember what he heck its called) It can be placed to hold the barrel or the forearm which ever you chose.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I use a discontinued Outer's "Varminter" rifle rest. You can find them in good shape for around $50 on Ebay....

http://executivegunworks.com/shopsit...roduct453.html
Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

When sighting in or checking loads for accuracy I use a lead sled. When just out shooting I use a bi-pod or sticks.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a bipod for my remington 700 works great
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Spike

When I want the most stability; I'll use a bench, with a sandbag in front, and a beanbag behind. If scoped accuracy is more than .5moa; I'll suspect something, (other than I,) is amiss.
If I had something readily available that provided more stability, I'd use it.

I would think a "lead sled" would provide stability while also aiding those with an incorrect trigger pull.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ButchA....WOW,those are some awesome groups with a .308,I'm impressed!

Not pointing the finger at anyone here,I don't understand it.....why not use something that will get a Rifle/Gun sighted in so much more accurately?After that when shooting Free-handed any un-centered shots from Your Gun is more than likely Human Errror and it can be worked out by not flinching,holding the Gun tighter or using better shooting techniques to be a better Shooter/Hunter?

Another thing I don't understand is all the HYPE over getting a larger caliber Rifle/Gun?A good accurate Rifle that shots well and is easier to handle can be more deadly than a larger caliber Rifle thats hurts Your shoulder and makes You flinch or squint Your eyes every time You shoot it...get a good accurate Rifle You can shot and enjoy improving on better accuracy.

I saw a Quote the other day that said "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting".Kinda makes sense after You think about it...thats what we're all trying to acheive...a good clean humane Kill or great groups if Your shooting paper only?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:40 AM
Typical Buck

I use a Caldwell Rock front rest and a rabbit ear bag for the rear. I have used a lead sled on several occasions and do not like them. In my opinion, the height of the sled does not allow a comfortable and natural shooting position.