Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Taking a gun into Canada? >

Taking a gun into Canada?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Taking a gun into Canada?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Banned

Default Taking a gun into Canada?

We'll be traveling this coming spring into BC. I carry a Ruger Redhawk with a 4.20" barrel while traveling. I have a concealed weapons permit in Wyoming. I have tried wading through Canadian "regs" and think I have a handle on it, but can anyone tell me what (if anything) I have to do to legally enter Canada with this revolver?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Inactive

Dig: Unfortunately you cannot bring a restricted weapon ( pistol/revolver ) into Canada. There are provisiions for competions, but you would not qualify under those regs. Also your CCW would not be honored here. Sorry about that.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Not even if I fill out and pay the fee for the "Non-Resident Firearm Declaration"?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
Not even if I fill out and pay the fee for the "Non-Resident Firearm Declaration"?
That non-resident declaration is for long guns only. Handguns are forbidden in Canada except for the CRMP's. Period.
I can tell you from a LEO point and travel to Canada for both work and personal reasons, I can't even carry a handgun into canada. And I can carry everywhere except Canada!!!
They meet us at the one of the crossings, we declare and secure our weapons, are ******ed to our destination, pick-up whom ever we are bringing back after they have apprehanded, or we perform our surveilance and they apprehand for us in a joint task operation, and back home we go to pick up our weapons crossing back into the US.

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-22-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Handguns are forbidden in Canada except for the CRMP's. Period.
Reminds me of Thomas Jefferson's quote: "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Reminds me of Thomas Jefferson's quote: "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Sadly it is true.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned

From an article entitled: Canada's Gun Laws for Americans (http://panda.com/canadaguns/#prohibited)
"Handguns with a barrel shorter than 105mm (4.14 inches) and/or in caliber .25 or .32 areprohibited in Canada and are illegal to possess in Canada."
Because of the barrel length, my gun by definition is "resticted", not prohibited.
So I'm getting mixed results here. Don't get me wrong, I don't have to bring it, but we will be in transit in several US cities before getting to Canada and I like to have it.

Last edited by dig4gold; 11-22-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

we are allowed handguns, but need a att to move them from one point to another and are required for them to be fully secured. i may be wrong but i am fairly sure non residents cannot aquire a att (authorisation to transport) and therefor cannot enter with a restricted (handguns, ar based platforms, ak's and every other fun gun) firearm. non restricted firearms (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloading rifles) can be brought across the border so long as the proper paperwork is filled out.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dig, you'll be better off leaving it at home. I don't know that too many states will also honor your CC permit either.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

Yeah . . . I'll probably do that. The CCP is more to show I'd had a deep background check on me. I know Ca, Or, Wa, do not reciprocate with WY.