Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Lack of hot .280 Rem. loads??? >

Lack of hot .280 Rem. loads???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lack of hot .280 Rem. loads???

Old 11-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lack of hot .280 Rem. loads???

Ok, so I've been posting a ton of random stuff about which caliber to pick for my NULA rifle.
In digging through factory and handload ballistics (I love that stuff for some damn reason), I started comparing the .270 Win., .280 Rem., and the .30-06.
One thing really jumped out at me....I've found hot/speedy loads for the .270 and 06', but the "hot" loads for the .280 Rem. seem kinda' mild.
Example....I was looking at Alliant Powders website. They have a load for the .270 Win. with a 130gr. bullet at ALMOST 3150fps. with RL 17. They show a load for the 06' with a 150gr. bullet at about 3025fps. also with RL 17.
So I check out a load for the .280 Rem. with a 140gr. bullet with RL 17.....the fastest one was around 2950fps.

I hopped over to IMR/Hogdons site and found pretty much the same thing.

Checked out the Hornady SuperPerformance factory loads. Again....a 130gr. .270 Win. at 3200fps. A 150gr. 06' over 3000fps. In the .280 Rem., the "revolutionary" SuperPerformance load just barely got the 140gr. bullet over 3000fps.

I know that the .280 Rem. was originally loaded to lower pressures for the semi auto rifles they were common in. But in a modern bolt action rifle, I would think someone could load a 140gr. bullet at around 3100fps with the right powder and a 24" barrel. (with no excessive pressure signs).

I'm a newby at reloading, so I'm going by what the powder companies are showing.
Does anyone have a .280 Rem. load that is hovering around the 3100fps. mark?

I'll take accuracy over 100fps. any day, but I thought it was strange that so many sources had hot loads for the .270 and 06' but the .280 Rem. seemed to be lacking them.

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.....

Any input would be appreciated
Old 11-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

You should be able to get 3100fps with a 140 grain bullet out of a .280.

Reloader 19, Reloader 22, Winchester 760, IMR 4831, Varget should all get you close to 3100+- fps.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

It should be relatively easy with a 140gr. bullet. I am getting over 3000fps with a 154gr Hornady and a 22" barrel.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

What were the powder charge weights for the 3 cartidges with the same powder and bullet weight? I would think similar powder charges and bullet weights would result in similar velocities.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

.280 Ackley.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I often seat bullets out so there's just a hint of rifling contact marked and regularly exceed "max" charges, and I find myself getting great-shooting loads over and over again. If you are comfortable being independent from the books, and taking the risk of experimentation, you will probably find yourself able to do the same. I always approach and exceed maximums very carefully, and finish with accuracy as the deciding factor. You need to pay the most attention to the bullets you use, as a high BC will get you further than some speed. In my 7mmRM, I've become a fan of 154gr SSTs...they're affordable and offer me a good BC:velocity and great accuracy. For me, it's a dandy choice.

SSTs offer the same in 277s. 30 cals are still a bit lacking...but this is just me. If you prefer a different bullet manufacturer (like barnes for example), the 30 could certainly be your choice.

Think bullets first, then decide what's gonna throw them.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jeepkid
.280 Ackley.
+1, I tested my 280AI with a 140 gr bullet and 60.0grs of imr 4831 and nosler listed it to get 3222fps which was about 100fps than a 7mm rem mag. The nice thing about the 280AI if you use up, lose your ammo or forget it at home you can use standard 280s. Of course a 280 AI only works if you reload or buy Nosler ammo.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Don't currently reload, but would sure like to get back into it!

I don't think I'm an AI kinda' guy. I'm happy with the standard long action calibers. Just easier to get factory ammo if I wanted or needed to.

Ridge,
I understand a little about chamber pressure and how it effects velocity. Notice I said a "little".

If a .270 Win. has a higher rated chamber pressure, giving it more velocity in a 130gr. than a .280 in a 140gr., does that mean that it's not safe to load the .280 to equal velocity?
I'm not sure if I'm asking that question the right way.......

Looking at all the #'s out there, a 140gr. in a .270 Win. can be pushed at about the same velocity as a 140gr. in a .280 Rem.

That SEEMS like it would give the .270 Win. a small advantage with bullet weights of 130, 140, and 150grs. over the .280 Rem.

(Better BC in a 130gr. .277 than a 130gr. .284.)

Right or wrong?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm feeling like the "chart antichrist" again...

I could at one time in my life almost recite the data from the entire Remington ammunition catalog. I think I was so focused on OPD (Other Peoples' Data) that I overlooked something more important - my own data. Probably not a big surprise, as just about every firearm I own has attached to it a different length barrel than Remington tested with, shooting with different environmentals than Remington's tests were conducted under, but my own data was always different - and sometimes SIGNIFICANTLY different - than Remington's.

Long ago, I remember reading quite a few comparisons between the .270 and the .280. Mind you, the .280 was primarily intended by Remington to be chambered in their slide-action and semi-auto rifles, which apparently resulted in some concern over chamber pressures and, IIRC, was suggested as the reason the .280 Remington wasn't performing to the same level the .270 Winchester was. Fast forward to the early 1980s and Remington's rebadging of the .280 as the "7mm Remington Express", which also included chambering it in the M700 line. From the data I remember then, the 7mm Express was a considerably better performer than the old version .280. But, Americans don't seem too interested in anything metric (save the 7mm Remington Magnum), and the name was changed back to .280, liability lawyers made money, and the loadings were once again tamed.

I don't own one, though I know a couple guys who do. I think it's fairly well accepted now that to wring out what the .280 is capable of, one must reload. If you're not committed to reloading, you'd probably be wise to dismiss the .280 and go with either the .270 or the .30-06.

But stop paying so much attention to those charts! Until you know what velocity those factory loads are leaving your rifle barrel at, you really don't know anything for certain. They should have "Performance in YOUR rifle WILL vary" in fine print at the bottom of each page.