Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R ultraslug??? >

H&R ultraslug???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R ultraslug???

Old 11-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Spike

Default H&R ultraslug???

I had to break down and buy a slug gun. I usually hunt with a rifle but have obtained access to land that is in a shotgun only county. I purchased a H&R 12 gauge ultra slug hunter with a Nikon scope. I dont have tons of money left to go playing with sabot slugs. I know each gun has its own favorite ammo but I was wondering which works best for you. I can afford to buy a few boxes to try out but want to gather as much info as possible as to what works the best for you all. Any input would be helpfull. Thanks
Old 11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy has the same slug gun, only in 20 gauge. His prefers Lightfields, but I'm not sure how much he has played around with different loads. I know with Lightfields he shoots 3" groups or less at 100 yards, and he has easily taken deer at 130 yards or so.

SST's tend to shoot good in many guns too, for that matter...
Old 11-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Spike

I'm not so sure that this approach will give you the answer you are looking for but it is worth a try. Here goes: The three sabot slugs my H&R Ultraslug shoots best are (1) the 3 inch untipped Federal Barnes Expander, (2) the 3 inch Remington Copper Solid, and (3) the 2 3/4 inch Lightfield Exp slugs - in that order. I would not hesitate to use any of these sabot slugs because my Ultraslug shoots them all pretty well. Remember that if you sight your gun in for one slug, it doesn't mean you can switch to a different slug and still be sighted in. I have exactly the same combination you have i.e. Ultraslug topped with a Nikon Slughunter scope and they are a match made in heaven. You won't regret getting that combo . . . I know I sure don't!

One piece of advice: if you are going to be taking shots at over 75 yds, get yourself a good rangefinder. More people miss or wound deer every season because the misjudge distance or crosswind speed than all other reasons combined. I was amazed at how far off my distance judgment was when I first got my rangefinder. Last season I took a 7-point at a ranged 147 yds by using the 150 yd aim point on the BDC reticule. Before using the rangefinder I had guessed that deer to be close to 200 yds away. Lucky for me it was dead calm and just after daylight because at 147 yds, even a 10 mph crosswind can affect your slug more than you realize. I have learned that if the crosswind speed is more than a few MPH to keep my shots to 100 yds or less because I can judge the impact the wind will have on my slug better at shorter distances.

Last edited by Catbird; 11-19-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over all the Lightfields EXPs seem to work great in most shotguns, I have this gun in 20ga mine likes the Hornady SSTs, but I will toy with it in the spring with Remington Accu-Tips
Old 11-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Spike

I just bought the 20guage version to use on some land i recently acquired to hunt on and the owner would prefer me not to use a rifle. Looking into a scope for it now, i have shot a friends a few times and for the money these guns are great little tac drivers. He uses lightfields only and gets great groups with them. They are 2 3/4"
Old 11-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Spike

Thanks guys