Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX??? >

Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX???

Old 10-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by schoolcraft

Such as, will they expand fully with a broadside shot on a deer that hits little or no bone?
Dunno, I've yet to recover ANY bullet from a deer. But the bullet testing I have done with water jugs, wood, etc...The Berger VLD's have created a bigger "wound channel" and penetrated further then Barnes, Accubonds, Interbonds and SST's...
Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
I guess all i really wanted to know was if they perform as advertised on game.

Such as, will they expand fully with a broadside shot on a deer that hits little or no bone?
Yes they will
Old 10-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot the 100 grain .257 TSX from my 25-06 at 3200 fps. Before the TSX I used the Barnes X-Bullet, basically the same bullet without the rings.

I've never recovered a TSX, but here's a picture of an X-Bullet that I recovered from a 150 lb. buck shot at 190 yards on an angle-away shot. The bullet entered the left ham and stopped under the skin of the right shoulder. I like them.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard mixed reports as regards accuracy so it seems they can be somewhat particular as to the loading aspects.One thing I think they might excel at would be for use in guns with long throats due to their length.That would allow seating the bullet farther out closer to the lands while still having enough surface area inside for the case neck to hold onto.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say the only reason NOT to buy them would be the price, or if they don't shoot good in your rifle. They do have the reputation for being more finicky than "traditional" bullets, but you would have to try them for yourself to see for sure. In general you are going to get very good penetration compared to other rounds, but they seem to expand pretty reliably, though maybe not as dramatically as some. One advantage is that you don't end up eating lead which happens sometimes with a lead core bullet.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think with all the options in bullets these days, the only reason TO buy them is if you're hunting in a "lead free" zone or if you absolutely NEED max penetration and busting through front shoulders...
Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

I don't care if you are shooting 22LR or 460Wby Mag rounds, the bullets are STILL the cheapest part of the hunt yet are the ONLY point of contact between you and the animal. All the cheapest or greatest equipment, time, practice etc in the world means NOTHING as they don't kill the animal, that's the bullets job! So this "I don't/wouldn't shoot Barnes because they are to expensive" it just total horsepuckey unless you are so whipped by mommy or your wife that she goes with you to Walmart and FORCES you to buy Corelokts.

Does an extra $20 per box for ammo REALLY mean that much to you? If it does perhaps you don't need to be hunting in the first place!!!
HL
Old 10-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
regular price at midway for a box of 7mm 140 gr. tsx is 34.99 per 50, 140 accubonds are 26.99 per 50, a deer or elk shot with either will give you the exact same results, when you shoot 1k rounds a year why pay 160.00 more for the exact same results?
horsepuckey only if you have more money than sense.
RR
If you can afford to burn 1000 rounds per year thru your deer rifle then $160 is a drop in the well!
HL
Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
If you can afford to burn 1000 rounds per year thru your deer rifle then $160 is a drop in the well!
HL
+1, Most guys don't shoot 30 rounds a year so a box of barnes bullets will last like 3 yrs for them.

As far as their BC, if your not shooting over 200yds you'd be very hard pressed to see a difference between a Barnes and say a Berger.

As most ballistic programs say that whitetail need 1000 to 1500lbs of kinetic energy to ethicly kill and most deer rifles easily get over that, is 100-200lbs more going to make a difference?
In my 280AI and a 140gr barnes and berger there is only 88lbs at 100yds and 155lbs at 200yds and .09" less drop at 200yds and .47" at 300yds with Bergers.

Plus you eliminate the chances of contaminating your hard earned vension with lead.

Last edited by stapher1; 10-21-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If these bullets offered any advantages over standard cup and core bullets on whitetails then I'd agree with those saying the difference in price would be of little significance. But they don't. They are not needed for whitetails and do not kill them any quicker. I could easily pay 12 dollars for gallon of milk rather than the average 4 dollars a gallon. Only a 8 dollar difference. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. But if the 12 dollar milk is no better than the 4 dollar milk then why pay more? It's not the cost it's simply the principle of the thing.

And I have no experience with the current X-style bullets but a buddy of mine used them years ago. And the ones they were producing back then did not expand and give the kind of wound channels that standard lead tipped bullets did. I never saw well hit deer travel so far after the shot. Thankfully one year was enough and he switched to Fusions and is much more pleased.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.