Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX??? >

Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX???

Recently saw the Barnes DVD called "Performance VS. Deformance", and I must say the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets look impressive.

They show them fully expanding after being shot through an apple and after only 3" of ballistic gel. (They were trying to prove that the reputation of them not opening up on thin skin animals wasn't true)

Now I know when something looks too good to be true, it probably is.....but it does peak my interest.

Can you folks who have in the field experience with TSX or TTSX bullets let me know how they have performed for you?

Thanks,

Schoolcraft
Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Spike

I know that over on the 68 forums the guys there like the 95gr TTSX.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

performed great/as advertised for me.

85gr TSX did the best job on antelope from a .243win for me, compared to 95gr Ballistic tips, 100gr Sierra boattail soft point.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Overpriced, poor BC, overpriced, NOT needed for MOST game animals in the USA.

That said, I've used them on at least 3 deer that I can remember and all resulted in complete pass thrus and a dead deer. Nothing special, just two holes, in and out.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

i use the 53 grain TSX in my .223 guns. That bullet does a good job on big hogs when it's put in the right place.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

I use them out of my 280 AI, 300 Win, 300 RSAUM. Farthest shot was 75yds. Two of deer the bullets never exited and they dropped in their tracks, the 3rd was neck shot and bullets did go through both sides but dropped it. No damaged meat on any of the deer. I get great accuracy with TSX, i'm trying the tipped Tsx out of my 280. But i will say that i couldn't get the old x bullets to shoot at all.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Some guns will shoot the Barnes bullets great, other guns wont. Some places require no lead bullets, while most places dont, yet. For the price of their bullets, not to mention the differences in reloading for them, Ill stick with Noslers.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

well one reason not to use them over another bullet would be cost, why do you need that kind of penetration on a whitetail? they are classified as medium thin skinned game, not that hard to kill.
Overpriced, poor BC, overpriced, NOT needed for MOST (ANY) game animals in the USA.
What they said......

Is the animal any deader just because you paid 3 times as much for them????
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

I see everyone keeps calling them "overpriced". I hear that the seperate bullets for reloading are kinda pricey....but the Vortex factory loaded ammo from Barnes is fairly reasonable.

I picked up a box of 165gr. TTSX for my .300 Win. Mag. to try. I think they were $46.99 at Academy.

While that certainly isn't as inexpensive as CorLocts or Fusions, it's not as bad as some of the factory loads I've seen with the Trophy Bonded Tip, Accubond, or Partition.

I do agree the all copper TSX/TTSX bullets are not needed for deer.....but when I look at the money spent on a custom rifle, Swarovski optics, deer lease fees, corn, food plots, deer stands, ect......can't imagine not shooting the best quality bullets I can afford.

On a side note, where I hunt, I'm just as likely to have a 450lb. hog walk out in front of me. We hunt them year round, and having a bullet that bust through grissle plates, shoulder bones, and ribs on a big boar when you can't get a head shot sure does come in handy.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

I guess all i really wanted to know was if they perform as advertised on game.

Such as, will they expand fully with a broadside shot on a deer that hits little or no bone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.