Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger m77 mk II or Savage 116? >

Ruger m77 mk II or Savage 116?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger m77 mk II or Savage 116?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Ruger's for big game but I have a Savage MKII BV in .22Lr and it to is a great shooter.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have several of the Ruger the M77 MKII's. In all different calibers. All of them shoot good. To be honest I have probably a half dozen or more I've never fired.The triggers can be dressed up well by someone that knows what they are doing.I had a friend that was killed do a few of mine and they are great triggers now. Breaking just under 3lbs. I have a new Hawkeye in 300 WM that has never been fired.

I wouldn't call the Ruger's a target rifle by any means. They are plenty accurate enough for hunting.I have never worked loads up for them all I've ever shot has been factory.I'm sure I could fine tune them if I took the time to work up a load for them.One thing about buying a Ruger if there is a problem with it they will make it right. I have no experience with a Savage. From reading about them I wouldn't hesitate buying one.I have friends who swear by the Savages.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cant say much about the savage, never owned one, but have shot a few that friends have owned. Most of them shot decent, I never really cared for the fabricated bolt they have. I do own 3 ruger rifles and the are fine guns, all shoot very well. Mine are all older rugers, dont own a hawkeye. There triggers are kind of stout out of the box, but they can be adjusted by a gunsmith without any trouble. Mine are set on 3lbs without any creep. If I was gonna buy a new rifle I would look long and hard at another ruger.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Ruger 77 Mk II all-weather SS in .300 Win Mag I bought new almost 20 years ago. Right out of the box I could feed it anything and it would shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day long. I could change bullet weights and it would still group in the same hole. It STILL shoots that good and has been the best rifle I've had the pleasure of owning. And bad triggers? The trigger pull is stiff (five pounds) but it's crisp and no travel and as good as any I've used. You can't shoot 1/2" groups with a bad trigger. If you shoot bench rest and have pulled all the high dollar triggers maybe you wouldn't like it but if you just hunt it's all you need. Did I mention when I bought it I put on a Nikon Monarch 3-9 X 40 scope and in those 20 years never once had to change the scope settings. That says alot about Rugers rings and mounting system (and of course Nikon scopes).
Attached Thumbnails Ruger m77 mk II or Savage 116?-gun1new.jpg  

Last edited by warbirdlover; 09-09-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I don't dislike the Ruger, if I cared about accuracy, I'd go with the Savage hands down. I've yet to see a Savage that wouldn't shoot well under MOA with factory ammo, and most of them will shoot sub moa with handloads. They just are great rifles.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Spike

Never been a big fan of Savage, honestly never gave them much of a chance. Guess its cause i've always been a Ruger or Remington fan. I have hunted the last few years with a Ruger 77 Mk II .270 and been very pleased with it. I haven't upgraded anything on the rifle as of yet. With that said I would buy another one if needed.