Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger m77 mk II or Savage 116? >

Ruger m77 mk II or Savage 116?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger m77 mk II or Savage 116?

Old 09-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Spike

Default Ruger m77 mk II or Savage 116?

Right now i have an old mosin for hunting but am saving for a nicer rifle/scope combo in 270 win,

I was thinking staying in the WWII spirit and buying a Kar98k to chop up and sporterize but realized by the time i converted to 270, and set up the way i want id be spending more than i would for a ruger and have the same action (with the history/ruining of)...

i really love the mauser action and the look of the ruger mk II and hawkeye,

the savage on the other hand has that accu trigger that feels amazing... but they look ugly and dont have the "pride in ownership" i guess the ruger has (imo.) i know the game wont know the difference and its all a personal choice just looking for opinions.

ive done a bit of reading and i kno the 700s are good, howas, weatherbys, and tikkas are all good but im really just looking at these for this comparison right now, and if i found a deal on one of the others id go for it without worry.

i kno they are both accurate and reliable this is really a more of an opinion thing, whos shot them and what did you think?

thanks

Last edited by Shane.rawlings; 09-05-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

If it was me I'd go with the ruger 77 hawkeye. Trigger is 1/2 way decent, they shoot very well ( I know that everyone says savages shoot great but that's not my experience, my experience is that they shoot 2" mol @ 100). I like the feel of the ruger, I like the way the front screw pulls the recoil lug back into the stock and is part of the action. Both will work for you, both will put venison on the table, both are american made, good luck with your decision
Old 09-05-2011, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

i love shooting my dads ruger m77 hawkeye. its got a really smooth action. It shoots great as well. i cant speak for the savage because i have never shot one but you can't go wrong with a ruger.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Ruger M77 International 30.06. It has an 18 1/2 incc barrel and is very accurate. I would much rather own the Ruger than the Savage but If it were my money, I'd be getting a 700.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger for sure.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

In my experience a Ruger will never fail you...BUT, their triggers are junk (at best), they are heavier and they are no where near as accurate as most of their competitors, IMO! I own several Ruger's...but they no longer make it to the field with me to hunt, and haven't for years...but also am not a huge fan of controlled feed (Mauser) type actions...

For the same $$ you can get a rifle that has an easily adjustable high quality trigger, quality stock, and MOA or even SUB-MOA guarantee (or course that means nothing if the shooter doesn't do their part). IMO, very few Ruger's consistently shoot MOA out of the box...Ruger's biggest benefit in my opinion is that they are indestructible...a necessary quality for some, like my younger brother...LOL and they will perform equally well in heat, rain, snow, cold...etc!

My favorite rifle of the moment is my Tikka in 270 WSM...fell in love with it the first day I shot it... 1/2 MOA performance as long as I do my part (even with factory ammo), the bolt is butter smooth, the trigger is a dream (took 2 mins to adjust it to my preferred setting), and it cost less than $600 new. I don't care for the stock, trigger guard and cheap feeling box magazine...but the pluses out weight the minuses so far.

Others I love...I have 2 older Remington BDL's, also long time favorites...they have beautiful wood stocks, nice triggers (after professional work), smooth as butter bolts and both shoot MOA most days (again, it's up to the shooter to do their part). The 270 I have in the 700 BDL is one of my all-time favorite rifles...but that being said, I don't much care for the newer Remmy's...

Browning A-Bolt...I have a newer A-Bolt that I also love, nice trigger (adjustable), shoots consistent MOA with just about anything I put in it. Great wood, clean lines and very easy to carry. I dislike the box magazine design that Browning continues to use...

Savage...one of my other new favorites. Great triggers, I love my Model 93 in 17 HMR! I have a Model 10 FLCP-K in 308 on order and can't wait to get it! Butter smooth bolts, accu-trigger and accu-stocked versions seem to be crowd favorites and perform MOA or better. I don't like the cheap looking wood on the wood models, but not many manufactures aren't using great wood anymore.

Bottom line...most deer are shot inside 100 yards...any of the rifles mentioned will deliver the accuracy needed to kill deer out to 200 yards easily...find the rifle that fits you best and meets your needs and makes you happy! Happy hunting!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rugers are very accurate but you have to either replace the trigger or have a compitent gunsmith clean it up, also they usually need to be free floated, but once that is done they will shoot as good as any other hunting rifle on the market. JMO. Go with the Ruger.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

They are both good rifles i have shot both , its all gonna be up to you what you want .If it was my money Id buy another barrell for my pro hunter , IMO out shoot both models mentioned
Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

I like the feel of the Ruger over the Savage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.