Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 recoil?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

should be ok. i have a .270 and i am the same age, a little smaller in size and i find it very nice to shoot. in the video you were kinda leaning back, it helps leaning into it to reduce how much you are kicked around. you'll be fine.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Put a pachmayr pad on it and just go about your business.

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/D750B.php

.............and ever look back.
What he said, x10!!!
HL
Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Remmy 700 in 270 WIN, shoot 150g handloads @ 2700 fps...and it still has the hard plastic recoil plate on it...it's pleasant enough to shoot several rounds from the bench...haven't even considered putting a recoil pad on it...but if you want an awesome recoil pad...go with the Limbsaver...wonderful thing it is! I put on on my 270 WSM and it is a dream to shoot now.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kaia - I don't know who told you the actions of the Axis and the 110 are the same. They definately are not. The receivers are entirely different. And the 110 is a higher quality rifle.
As for recoil, several years ago, my firend and I had identical Remington 700s in 270. Shooting the same load, mine was a pleasure to shoot. But his was horrible. The felt recoil was about 1/2 again what mine was. I would have ventured to say that there was a slight difference in the angle of the butt which caused his to feel much worse.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

There are several steps to shooting fundamentals. This video clip does a good job of explaining the different fundamentals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGs_GuPiDbI

Seek professional instruction from certified instructors (NRA or other respected affiliations).

It is hard to tell from the video, but here are some areas.

You need to lean into the shot with the majority of your weight on the left foot if you are shooting right handed. You may want to take a little wider stance. Do not lock your knees.

It is hard to tell, but it appears the butt of the rifle is not set properly against your shoulder.

You also need to do follow through. After you fire a shot you get your sights back on target as quickly as possible for another sight picture. Do not move your head, hand, feet or even your trigger finger until after your sights are back on the target for another sight picture. A lot of people have a tendency to more their head or lower the firearm to see where they hit. Many also are quick to move their trigger finger which is not good (part of trigger control and can affect follow through). These actions move the muzzle unnecessarily and inconsistently which destroys accuracy.

You should not have to move your head when you chamber another round.

I would suggest you look at taking the NRA Basic Rifle Course. I would also suggest looking at purchasing a bolt action rifle in .22 Long Rifle so you can practice your form (never dry fire a rimfire firearm). Savage makes some decent bolt action rifles in .22 Long Rifle. You will eventually save the cost of the .22LR rile with your ammo savings.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
I have a Remmy 700 in 270 WIN, shoot 150g handloads @ 2700 fps...and it still has the hard plastic recoil plate on it...it's pleasant enough to shoot several rounds from the bench...haven't even considered putting a recoil pad on it...but if you want an awesome recoil pad...go with the Limbsaver...wonderful thing it is! I put on on my 270 WSM and it is a dream to shoot now.
My 130lb g/f has a 700 BDL in .270 with the original hard plastic butt plate. She shoots it very well from the bench and has shot quite a few deer with it. She has never said a word about the recoil. I offered to have a thin recoil pad installed, and at the same time have the LOP shortened, since it is a bit long for her. She said "absolutely not, there's no way you are going to cut that beautiful stock." The rifle does have a very nicely figured walnut stock. So, I suspect that recoil is not an issue for her. She shoots 130gr bullets which I load ahead of max amounts of IMR4350 or H4831.

It looks like you need to add a .358 Win to your Model 99 collection. I owned a 99R in that caliber back in the 70's. One summer I was shooting it from the bench wearing a T-shirt. LOL I suppose I didn't have a good enough grip on it, and when it fired, the sharp steel buttplate tore through my t-shirt and sliced my shoulder. I still have the scar. I really liked that rifle, but then, as now, I was not inclined to load lightly, and the cases stretched very badly, with head separations after about 3 loadings.

Last edited by keyshunter; 09-02-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by keyshunter
My 130lb g/f has a 700 BDL in .270 with the original hard plastic butt plate. She shoots it very well from the bench and has shot quite a few deer with it. She has never said a word about the recoil. I offered to have a thin recoil pad installed, and at the same time have the LOP shortened, since it is a bit long for her. She said "absolutely not, there's no way you are going to cut that beautiful stock." The rifle does have a very nicely figured walnut stock. So, I suspect that recoil is not an issue for her. She shoots 130gr bullets which I load ahead of max amounts of IMR4350 or H4831.

It looks like you need to add a .358 Win to your Model 99 collection. I owned a 99R in that caliber back in the 70's. One summer I was shooting it from the bench wearing a T-shirt. LOL I suppose I didn't have a good enough grip on it, and when it fired, the sharp steel buttplate tore through my t-shirt and sliced my shoulder. I still have the scar. I really liked that rifle, but then, as now, I was not inclined to load lightly, and the cases stretched very badly, with head separations after about 3 loadings.
Yeah I am short a couple 99's yet...still need a 284 WIN and 358 WIN and thinking there may be one or two others that escape me at the moment...they are my favorite rifles of my collection...truly luv the 308 and have killed many a deer with it!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am not tiny at 6.1 and 230. I have bad shoulders from years of abuse as a hockey player. For me its all fit, some of the worst guns I have shot are those with chaberings most wouldn't considered nasty. Of course not fighting or being aware/scared of recoil goes a long way. Recoil pads are helpful no doubt, like sheridan i suggest pachmayr's. Just make sure it doesn't change your LOP (length of pull) to the point where fit is comprimised.

Of course technique is a big factor especially off a bench or solid rest, recoil should be absorbed or "rolling with the recoil". Simple terms don't fight the push, it will recoil no matter how big or tough you are the guns gonna come back once ignition happens. No point in fighting it or being scared of it. In a perfect world it just goes bang, you don't think about it happens it just happens and you move on. One reason why hunters say never felt a thing when I was shooting at that big buck or bull, focused on the shot not the results of firing it! Move that to practice and you'll be laughing.

Never a bad idea to fire a gun the first time from a standing position, allows your body to roll more with the recoil.

Best of luck and enjoy your new rifle