Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Heavy caliber CCW's? >

Heavy caliber CCW's?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Heavy caliber CCW's?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Heavy caliber CCW's?

I'm considering carrying my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454cassull for CCW, and potentially adding a new Ruger SRH Alaskan .44mag to the line up, just because I'm such a fan of the .44mag AND of Ruger revolvers (So happy Ruger added the .44mag Alaskan!!)

What's your thoughts on heavy calibered CCW weapons?

I'm usually a minimalist when it comes to concealed carry, with a Kel-Tec P-3AT getting top billing for me most of the time, and occasionally a Springfield Microcompact 1911 .45acp or a Taurus 85 .38spcl.

I bought the Ruger Alaskan as a deer hunting revolver, and the .44mag Alaskan will be a strictly guilty pleasure revolver, since I love the .44mag so much, but it'd be nice to have a day to day job for this fire-breathing beast.

For the specs, the Alaskan is 7 1/2" long, and nearly 3lbs, with a 2.5" barrel. It's a beast of a revolver, and certainly isn't a "t-shirt and shorts" friendly CCW piece, but I have the .454 Cassull Alaskan and I'm going to get the .44mag Alaskan anyway, so I figure I'd try it out.

Anyone else carrying hoglegs on the DL?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not for me...I carry two weapons everyday. A S&W airweight .38 special and a Sig P238 .380. Together, they weigh half of what you are looking at carrying. I just can't carry that much around on me. I occasionally carry a compact 1911, but even that can be tough to conceal at times with only a 3" barrel. Everyone has their own opinions, but I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying something like you are talking about. Keep it in the glove-box of the truck, maybe. You may love it, but it ain't for me.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
Not for me...I carry two weapons everyday. A S&W airweight .38 special and a Sig P238 .380. Together, they weigh half of what you are looking at carrying. I just can't carry that much around on me. I occasionally carry a compact 1911, but even that can be tough to conceal at times with only a 3" barrel. Everyone has their own opinions, but I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying something like you are talking about. Keep it in the glove-box of the truck, maybe. You may love it, but it ain't for me.
I'm not sure what kind of truck you drive. I've got an F150, and I think I'd need to upgrade in order to fit a Super Redhawk Alaskan in the glove box...

My carry gun is also a Sig P238... My P14's are just too big to carry comfortably.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

454 casull for CCW? ie people? what are you worried about body armor?

Taurus Tracker in .44mag is small, kinda light for what it does, 5 shot...

I'd still want smaller/lighter for CCW.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I can see you carrying the gun for a short time concealed. Then I can see you leaving the gun at home or in the truck because it weighs so much. The only time I could ever see carrying it concealed would be hiking in a national park where handguns are permitted to be carried concealed. .454 is way more power than what is needed and more than likely would over penetrate and hit an innocent bystander if you were to ever have to use it.
When I got my first CCW I carried my 6" model 66 in .357 and it didn't take me long to figure out that it was not meant to be carried that way.
For CCW I have a Glock 23, Kimber Ultra CDP II and a Ruger LCP. Since Nevada requires you to have each handgun listed on your CCW and requires to to qualify with each pistol, I haven't had a chance to add the LCP to my permit. When it is add or when the law is changed it will be my primary carry weapon as it is so light weight and easy to conceal.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure how serious you guys are, but the Alaskan won't have any problem fitting in a glove box! lol. It's a brute, but it's not THAT big! It's an inch shorter than a full size 1911, and only 4oz heavier. It's also only 5/8" longer than the Ruger SP-101... Granted it's nearly twice as heavy (empty), and a half inch WIDER, but the Alaskan's really are not that big.

Like I said, I'm mostly just kicking around getting a CC rig to carry a piece I already own, and I'm looking for a good excuse to purchase the new Ruger Alaskan .44mag. I usually carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT micro pistol in the front or back of my jeans in a custom rig, but I'm thinking for those days I get a wild hair, maybe throwing the Ruger Alaskan's into the line up.

As far as ammo, most of my carry is done while I'm travelling in remote areas, especially considering the clothing I'd have to wear to conceal a full size wheelgun like the Alaskan, I'll be out in BFE, so hitting an innocent bystander is probably not an issue. When I carry in "populated areas", I prefer to have the descrete Kel-Tec in tow.

Honestly, it'll be more of a novelty, to be able to say that I carry a full size wheelgun for CCW... But the practicality of it still has to line up... Surely there are some others out there that carry .44mag/spcl snubbies?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

I think for true ccw against two legged vermon, a 44mag, and definately a 454 is way overkill. You gain nothing in stopping power, and may even lose stopping power. Hunting bullets for these guns ae meant to expand on heavier animals then humans. Lets face it, humans are panzies,lol. You're likely to experience over penetration, and put others at risk. My idea of heavy caliber CCW is a 45acp in a full sized 1911, or an XDM or M&P in 40S&W. I carry a 44mag super redhawk for hunting the four legged critters.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

i think youd get tired of it real quick. Like you i always have a keltec in my pocket......i rotate carry guns but none of them are over 240z.....either taurus milpro in 45, keltec p11 in 9mm, sw 340pd in 357.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll carry the 1911, sometimes the 44 mag, somtimes the 9mm. Most of the time on a regular basis, I carry the Ruger LCP .380 with the 1911 in the truck.

If I carry a large handgun, it's usually on the weekend, not a workday.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

I am not sure of the seriousness of this post also, but take it from someone who has carried for the best part of 30 years , lighter is better!, NOW! my threat or reason for the carry is human, (talking protection form "critters" is going to be different), for my purpose a nice .32 wheel works just perfect.. I have never understood the large cal for ccw, in the home--well-- OK, but in the home a short barrel shotgun is with out equal. The chances of ever using the ccw in a public situation is very, very rare, so why burden yourself with the weight? A well placed shot or two with a .32 will stop about anything that is outside of a zoo. jmop Doc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.