HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Heavy caliber CCW's?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure how serious you guys are, but the Alaskan won't have any problem fitting in a glove box! lol. It's a brute, but it's not THAT big! It's an inch shorter than a full size 1911, and only 4oz heavier. It's also only 5/8" longer than the Ruger SP-101... Granted it's nearly twice as heavy (empty), and a half inch WIDER, but the Alaskan's really are not that big.

Like I said, I'm mostly just kicking around getting a CC rig to carry a piece I already own, and I'm looking for a good excuse to purchase the new Ruger Alaskan .44mag. I usually carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT micro pistol in the front or back of my jeans in a custom rig, but I'm thinking for those days I get a wild hair, maybe throwing the Ruger Alaskan's into the line up.

As far as ammo, most of my carry is done while I'm travelling in remote areas, especially considering the clothing I'd have to wear to conceal a full size wheelgun like the Alaskan, I'll be out in BFE, so hitting an innocent bystander is probably not an issue. When I carry in "populated areas", I prefer to have the descrete Kel-Tec in tow.

Honestly, it'll be more of a novelty, to be able to say that I carry a full size wheelgun for CCW... But the practicality of it still has to line up... Surely there are some others out there that carry .44mag/spcl snubbies?