Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
co___d and locked question >

co___d and locked question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

co___d and locked question

Old 02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default co___d and locked question

The thread about carrying in condition 1 has gotten me thinking I should get comfortable carrying that way.

I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra with an ambidexterous safety. For now it would be carried in an OWB holster co___ed and locked.

With ambidexterous safeties are there problems with the safety being accidentally disengaged? For example swinging arm motion runs up against the safety and unlocks the safety. Or is that something you need to develop an awareness of...the condition of your slide safety.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have talked with a lot of glock owners and seem ****ed and looked is the way to go. GLocks have no safety out side the trigger safety. Still torn on it myself, but am going to ****ed and locked for now
Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was watching that thread as well....

It will take more than your ambi safety snagging on something to cause that hammer to fall. Nonetheless, the mere fact that you're concerned may be suggesting you that a different firearm would be a better choice for you?

I still keep a full-size 1911, but swapped my Kimber Ultra on a Sig P220 carry elite. It's a bit longer and heavier, but it's a DA and isn't plagued by the spring issues I was having with the Ultra. While I was never uncomfortable safety-wise carrying the Kimber, I don't even think twice about the safety when I'm carrying the Sig.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would agree, first thing you learn when handling a gun, check to make sure it is unloaded, 2nd thing you learned never put your finger on the trigger unless you want to fire.
Like someone said in my glock thread, unless there is a issue with the gun IE mechanical failure the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled, I would be less worried about any safety going off even a ambi one. the only one I have concern with it the glock, as it is made to be pulled as you fire, so anything can push the safety and fire. Where with ambi or 1911 it takes two things, something to push the safety(1911) or un click it(ambi type) and something to push the trigger in, where on a glock the one thing can do both. This is why I own a glock over a 99.00 special, I want to know my gun will fire when I tell it to and not fire when it ant done by me (a human error is not the guns fault) guns do not shoot people, people pull the trigger without realizing it or let a holster or object do it for them.
Originally Posted by homers brother
I was watching that thread as well....

It will take more than your ambi safety snagging on something to cause that hammer to fall. Nonetheless, the mere fact that you're concerned may be suggesting you that a different firearm would be a better choice for you?

I still keep a full-size 1911, but swapped my Kimber Ultra on a Sig P220 carry elite. It's a bit longer and heavier, but it's a DA and isn't plagued by the spring issues I was having with the Ultra. While I was never uncomfortable safety-wise carrying the Kimber, I don't even think twice about the safety when I'm carrying the Sig.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

plus when you think about it, you still have the beavertail safety....so even if your safety gets swiped off you still have to be pressing in the beavertail while pulling the trigger
Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

GLocks have no safety out side the trigger safety. Still torn on it myself, but am going to ****ed and locked for now
Glocks have three safeties.
Trigger safety that prevents the trigger from being pulled from side pressure on the trigger.

Firing pin block safety prevents the firing pin from moving forward until the trigger is pulled to the rear.

Drop safety that can only disengage when the trigger is pulled.

Though I'm not a ambi safety guy, with the Kimber even if the thumb safety were to be disengaged there are two other safeties still in play. One manually operated and the other internal and automatically operated. The grip safety must be depressed. This will automatically disengage the firing pin block safety (all Kimbers with the "II" designation). So, even if the hammer were to fall somehow with out depressing the grip safety you still have the firing pin block safety.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

I carry Glocks and won't buy a defensive gun with a manual safety because that is one more thing I have to do in a defensive situtation and one more potential problem. I carry with one in the chamber because if I have to use it, more then likely I won't have time to chamber a round. If you are not comfortable yet with one in the chamber, carry your gun for a week or more without one and see if your worries are founded. If you need your gun for defense, you may not have time or both hands to chamber around.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

the mere fact that you're concerned may be suggesting you that a different firearm would be a better choice for you?
Actually my primary carry gun is an SP101. But like most people I am a lot more accurate with the SA 1911. My thinking is that it is better to become educated and proficeint with the 1911 rather than leaving it at home out of fear and ignorance.

plus when you think about it, you still have the beavertail safety....so even if your safety gets swiped off you still have to be pressing in the beavertail while pulling the trigger
I had forgotten about the grip safety. Plus my holsters cover the triggers. So even if the ambi does get accidentally put off safe there is still another safety and a trigger that need to be pulled before the gun will go off.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. When open carrying, I am going to start carrying in condition 1.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
My thinking is that it is better to become educated and proficeint with the 1911 rather than leaving it at home out of fear and ignorance.
My coach used to tell us to "focus on the threat." Everything you do from the point the decision is made to draw to the firing pin striking the primer has to flow smoothly and confidently. Every action deliberately executed and at speed.

He didn't recommend the slide safety at all, particularly on handguns with redundant safety features like the 1911. One more action that must be performed before the weapon will fire. That didn't sit well with most of us, but I absolutely understood his point once we started drawing and firing at speed. There isn't time to think about the thumb break that seemed to make so much sense at the store, whether there's one up the pipe, whether the safety's on or not, where the hammer is, where that target went, ....

Study what makes your 1911 tick, or NOT tick in this case. Try to make the hammer fall without pulling the trigger or depressing the grip safety. I'll bet you can't. If your finger is in a position to pull the trigger and the web of your hand in a position to disengage the grip safety, I'll bet you'll find that you're pretty much in control of that 1911 and where it's pointed. Get up close and personal with that weapon.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get up close and personal with that weapon.
A good suggestion for any gun owner. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.