Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

heavy barrel 10/22

Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 PM
  #21  
Nontypical Buck
 
Maine Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,327
Default

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Did you use Lauer for the yellow in the fluting on the Kurt Adler rifle?

I used Lauer for the flutes on a few of my builds... Mixing paint is making me grey prematurely!
Wasn't thinking Kurt Adler. Wanted to make a "race rifle" a bit more meaningful.



I forget exactly what paint it was, some sort of enamel.

Last edited by Maine Shooter; 02-10-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Maine Shooter is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:34 PM
  #22  
Nontypical Buck
 
Maine Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,327
Default

Originally Posted by statjunk
I'd like to know a little more about the paint as well. I'm assuming you use tape to control the paint. Is there a trick to taping a flute off for paint?

I know nothing about it so any info would be great.

Thanks

Tom
Again, I forget exactly what kind but I'm darn sure it was some enamel. To mask the flutes, I simply sprayed the bbl down with a GOOD degreaser then masked the flutes with automotive fine-line tape. Just took some patience after that.
Maine Shooter is offline  
Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 PM
  #23  
Nontypical Buck
 
fritz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,081
Default

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme
My 10/22 shoots 4MOA. Tried every piece of ammo I could get. Stingers do the best. The subsonic target stuff suck
Ruger does not recomend the use of CCI Stingers in the 10/22, but dont take my word for it, call Ruger and ask them for yourself. If you put one up to a regular 22 long rifle you will see that the Stinger has a slightly longer case. I have found the bulk carton Federal hollow points shoot the best in my rifle, the cheap stuff.
fritz1 is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 AM
  #24  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Default

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
always thought that to bed a heavy barreled 10/22 ya bedded the barrel and floated the action so ya didn't have 3# of steel pulling on an aluminum action.
RR
thus the pad for the fluted barrel.............done correctly nothing is pulling on anything. It all sits in the stock without stressing the action.


Also alot of aftermarket 10/22 barrels are chambered so as to prevent the use of Stinger ammo because the chamber is too short forthe longer case.

To do the barrel channel with an end mill takes a bit of set up time...25-30 mins to get it right. Takes about two minutes to cut it, tops.

Last edited by skb2706; 02-11-2011 at 05:51 AM.
skb2706 is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 AM
  #25  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 273
Default

Originally Posted by fritz1
Ruger does not recomend the use of CCI Stingers in the 10/22, but dont take my word for it, call Ruger and ask them for yourself. If you put one up to a regular 22 long rifle you will see that the Stinger has a slightly longer case. I have found the bulk carton Federal hollow points shoot the best in my rifle, the cheap stuff.
Yep, glock doesn't recommend the use of handloads in thier guns. And my dealer said if I change my oil in my car, it voids my warranty, and the state of MD says I shouldn't be running straight pipes on my roadking.

I have had my chamber cast and mine personally is long enough to handle stingers. Not all might be. But mine is. But mine is well over 12 years old.

Now, if I get match chamber, I would not shoot stingers. In fact, they probably won't chamber.

In fact, ruger will tell you, the stinger warning is for T rifles only.

Last edited by bigcountryextreme; 02-11-2011 at 06:25 AM.
bigcountryextreme is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 06:11 AM
  #26  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 273
Default

Originally Posted by skb2706
To do the barrel channel with an end mill takes a bit of set up time...25-30 mins to get it right. Takes about two minutes to cut it, tops.

Sounds like I need to make a new friend.
bigcountryextreme is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 AM
  #27  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Default

You get it here and I'd do it.
skb2706 is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 AM
  #28  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Default

My Green Mtn. barrel is Bentz chambered and one of the first problems I encounter was wax on the bullets. We were out testing different types of ammo on a warm spring day. I have some of those 100 pc. packs of Federal standard velocity rounds. They shoot great in my barrel and we were havin a good old time. But as the loaded rounds warmed up a bit the wax coating on them all collected on the bullets as they are hanging in those plastic boxes. Not long we were having trouble with the bolt chambering freash rounds. We were reduced to scraping the wax off each with a finger nail to get them to work.
skb2706 is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 PM
  #29  
Nontypical Buck
 
fritz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,081
Default

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme
Yep, glock doesn't recommend the use of handloads in thier guns. And my dealer said if I change my oil in my car, it voids my warranty, and the state of MD says I shouldn't be running straight pipes on my roadking.

I have had my chamber cast and mine personally is long enough to handle stingers. Not all might be. But mine is. But mine is well over 12 years old.

Now, if I get match chamber, I would not shoot stingers. In fact, they probably won't chamber.

In fact, ruger will tell you, the stinger warning is for T rifles only.
Hey thats fine. Im not trying to argue with you bigcountry, this is a forum and I am letting you know what I know. Most Ruger 10/22 will jam when using Stingers, because of the longer case. I have had many Ruger 10/22's the ones I have had do not digest Stingers very well, matter of fact I dont believe I ever owned a 22 that shot Stingers worth a damn, but like I said, that is just my personal experience, all guns are different and shoot different.

Last edited by fritz1; 02-12-2011 at 05:39 AM.
fritz1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.